Your Favorite Dig Tool?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My TWO HANDS.

No really, I use the standard Lesche. It is a very solid digging tool, but I think that it is a little lacking for some tasks. I think that it is good for digging soft soil, or even working in gravel, but can be a little lacking in hard ground or cutting through tough grass. I am still looking for the best tool and I am trying to "talk" myself into trying/buying the Raptor by Predator Tools.

The Sampson is the best for breaking ground but not the best for moving a lot of dirt. I have a Lesche Ground Shark with the "D" handle that is tops for moving a lot of soil.

My assumption is that there isn't one perfect tool for everything, but I like the Lesche shovels so far. I am sure that all the Predator tools do a good job in their own right, but I can't bring myself to pay $80+ for a shovel just yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info! Yes, Predator makes some great tools. I have a Sampson and love it, but I'm mow looking for a hand digger that I'll like.

the Predator Raven looks good, too.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can be more specific on the Lesche hand tool. I think that it is good for pinpoint cutting once you pull a plug and with a little sharpening would become much better at making a plug. For accuracy it seems good. For moving soil out of the way, the blade is a little too flat for doing so. You have to also "overshoot" your coin a little when you go to pulling it out because the tip is very sharp and accurate and it can easily scratch coins if you get into too much of a hurry or do not pull a big enough plug to begin with. I have a theory that it would would work great for specific applications as well as another hand digger. Kind of like being a "ground surgeon" in a way where you use more than one tool for doing different tasks and steps. For moving small gravel it is very sturdy and this is where the accuracy and tip lends itself to the task. You can pry with it and the blade is slightly springy, but you don't want to move large embedded rocks or boulders with it of course.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got mine from Home depot for 9.97, got a green handle, nice serrated blade on one side for cutting roots. It works great so far and doesn't bend like the last one. I think it might say ames on it, but It's out in the truck. worth every Penny and lodes cheaper than the ones made for MDing . I also use a scooped shaped garden trowel for digging out the hole after the plug has been cut and pulled.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small size,about 30 inches long Ames shovel and a Gerber knife.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have several digging tools. None are a favorite. :dontknow:

I will use any thing from a sharp shooting, a metal hand digger, a plastic hand shovel, and a long screw driver. It just depends where I’m digging and what the soil hardness is like.:icon_scratch:

Like they say, use the right tool for the job and get it done faster and easier. 8-)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Wise T-12 and 3-n-1 digger are my favorites over my Lesche.the leather sheath is much better than nylon ones that come with most diggers. The V shape of the T-12 makes removing dirt in deeper holes easier.

Attachments

• image-4271994187.jpg
    image-4271994187.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 246
  • image-3238821965.jpg
    image-3238821965.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a Lesche for years - very solid. Keep it clean and don't pry too hard and it will last a lifetime. It's no fun when you find you have the wrong tool for the job. For sheer speed the 4" trenching shovel (now painted green) is awesome. Some ground is too hard for any tool without a lot of work - wait until it rains and hit it then.

Tools_1.jpg
Tools_5.jpg
Tools_6.jpg

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88 - I have a thread open right now on how disappointed I am with my new Treasure Wise 3n1. Yours looks great! Mine came to me in the mail looking like an 8 year old butchered one side with a grindstone. It's so lopsided it doesn't even come to a point.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used a Garrett trowel all year except when searching woodlands or creek beds. I have a home made digger that is a simple triangular piece of steel plate, sharpened on sides with serrations cut into them and a Hexagonal T-handle. This works great in stone parking lots too.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For basic detecting, I prefer to use a small relic shovel from Home Depot under $10

Keep @ it and HH !!

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Lesche and a Garrett Edge.. Like them both and no problems with either one.. I also have a folding trench shovel with a pick on one side..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mt lesche is taking a beating not very sharp but still kicking. I started out digging with an old bayonet. It would cut a great plug in damp soil.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I paid almost sixty bucks for that top one its top notch quality but I hated the angle of the factory handle it was not right. So I hacked off the factory handle and put my own on right. The grips are Hunt Wilde, a great old grip company. Check them out.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Now the bottom one, take a look at the angle of the handle to the blade. It might look odd but believe me its set perfect ergonomically. Torque reaction about the wrist when thrusting is minimized. You can tell once you handle it. Try making models of diggers out of cardboard and paper tubes and duct tape. Then get a good old quality shovel and some 7/8 or 1" steel tubing, thick walled. Then get the grinder and cut off wheels and welder and torch and cold ones out. I like to peen the snot out of the blade with a big azz ball peen hammer on some hard wood after welding, it adds strength and the muddy crap falls off the bumpy surface easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread