Your First Ounce - How long did it take?

greenpan

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am just starting out in gold prospecting, and I am curious the time scale of what to expect.
How long did it take you to collect your first ounce of gold? (including all the flakes pickers and fine gold etc)
If you haven't found an ounce yet, how long has it taken you to get as much as you have?
And how often do you go out prospecting? I am hoping to get out every weekend.
:goldpan::hello2::goldbar:

Upvote 0

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow this post is very refreshing. I am an obsessive type person and I have manage 6 grams in close to a year and after reading these post, I need to be a more grateful person.

I average about about .30 grams a trip, and a real good day is .50. Truthfully if u added up every time I went out I probably average . 10 if I'm lucky.

What I have started to do lately is try to find things that are more valuable than gold to define a successful trip. Those things would be beautiful moment where the world feels like its watching you, or a great time with a friend, or a conversation that seemed to fall from heaven.

Life is more than totals, it's the process that led to the totals that is worth remembering.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well said Charles! I think my highest to date is 0.25 grams in about 2 hours. I do plan to go back to that spot for a longer session to set a new personal best but...from your other pov I have lots of personal bests that had low gold totals for those days. Lots of good times on the gold with friends, sunshine and nature! My total for the last couple years is about 5 grams. I am working toward 8 g so I have enough to make a ring for my wife, a worthy goal but only one clear benefit of the many I get from this hobby.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a picker a few months ago. Not too worried about how much I find. Actually enjoy running the equipment and finding black sand just as much (Don't ask me why...I'm just weird that way!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions