Upvote 0

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out my CRH log. I started it the 1st.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last box of nickels produced nothing. Lifetime ~25 boxes has produced 16 war nickels, 0 buffaloes, and 0 V's, and 0 key dates.

When I first started collecting coins as a kid in the 1970's, I kept all pre-1960 nickels. Now I don't. How many 1959-D's do I really need? I already have way more than necessary. I would still keep any key dates, pre-'60 coins in "above average" condition, and dates that I need to finish my set.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first endeavors in to CRH were nickels and they produced a few war nickels. After that I went on a 3 or 4 box skunk streak with them and just gave up because dimes were producing more keepers (mostly just silver) for me. Recently got back into nickels though. In the past 3 or 4 boxes I've gotten 4 buffaloes (a nice 1935, a 1926/8, and 2 dateless) and a 1910 liberty nickel. I may get one more this week to see if the streak keeps up but if I hit another skunk or two in a row, I'm liable to take a break again. As much as I love my coins and collecting, I've been more into silver and stacking lately. May sell my poorer condition coins in a lot to get some cash for stacking.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I average around 3 war nickels/box but i have only done 2 boxes so IDK? it depends on you area - but keep all pre 60 nickels (i keep 38's in a seperate pile) and i put buffalos i find in a 2X2 Cardboard holder. While hunting, be alert for many errors such as Offcenter etc... Also, war nickels will usually have an ugly darkish colour to them because of the 9% Mn (manganese)

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through about $100 in cwr. No wars no pre 40. Hoping this box will produce. Picked up this afternoon brinks box. Ill keep posted on the finds

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done about 35-40 boxes.

Results:

25 war nicks (2 of the boxes had 4 each, my record)
10 buffalos
2 proofs (1970-s and 1994-s)
1 Magician's nickel (tails on both sides)

0 Vs

Nickels are my favorite coin to search.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nickel finds! I have done 12 boxes so far without finding a single thing. Then I got box 13 and found one lonely war nickel. I just picked up another box and found just one lone 1925 buff. I think there is other people on my tuff. wouldn't care about them hunting in my area, just stay away from my banks. This last box was 80% someone else's dump. So annoying. Once the weather gets better, I plan on dumping my coins and getting either 5 boxes of nickels, 2 boxes of dimes or maybe even a box of halves.

Sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bummer to get nadda out of 12 boxes. A buff is always nice, I'm yet to find one. So far I've searched 10 of the 50 rolls of my 1st box. Pulled 2 common Canadian
40-s
53-d
2x69s
One Bahamas 5cent

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GarouLady said:
Congrats on the nickel finds! I have done 12 boxes so far without finding a single thing. Then I got box 13 and found one lonely war nickel. I just picked up another box and found just one lone 1925 buff. I think there is other people on my tuff. wouldn't care about them hunting in my area, just stay away from my banks. This last box was 80% someone else's dump. So annoying. Once the weather gets better, I plan on dumping my coins and getting either 5 boxes of nickels, 2 boxes of dimes or maybe even a box of halves.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Your bank? Can't tell if you're being serious...

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean a bank that I bank at, not that it's mine and mine alone. Its just annoying to go through 12 boxes without finding anything. that's why I don't do halves. I did two boxes of those and didn't find anything and nickels are easier to dump than halves. And the last 5 boxes I got have been someone rewrapping the nickels into the original wrappers and making them look like are machine wrapped. That is uber annoying!! whenever I rolled coins, I wrote on it NS with two lines running the length of the roll, so everyone would know that there was no silver in them.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am primarily a half hunter, but I do pick up dimes, nicks & pennies when my half orders fall through, or if I have extra $ around not tied up in halves. (Not unlike an alcoholic who will drink an occasional shot of rubbing alcohol when he doesn't make it to the liquor store before they close - wow. That's messed up.) Anyway, I enjoy nickels. I've found about 8-10 Buffs (including a nice '18-d), about 20 war nicks, and a 50-d. It's not the most profitable denom to search, but it's still fun.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I still like the idea of having a roll of war nickels is more than an ounce of silver. and someone told me that if you have a face value of each denomination, the nickels will have the greatest amount of silver. And I am soo jealous BadBluff that you got 20 war nickels.

Was thinking about turning my coins into the coinstar at my work. I was thinking that it would save me time and gas mileage until I realized that to return 700 dollars would cost me 62 dollars. eeesh, now its definitely worth the time and back ache to drag that money into town to my dump bank.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm brand new to CRH and I have done one box of nickels so far.. I got 27 pre 1960 nickels and 1 war nickel. I know that the pre 1960 are really worth anything but i figured I would keep them till I got too many then just dump them.. I do have a question, I found tons and tons of 1964's in that box. Did they produce that many more of those than other years or was it just luck of the draw for that box?

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 64 being the last year they produced the silver dimes and quarters they made more nickels so they could mint less dimes and quarters. So yes they minted that many more. Like a billion

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I did lots of nickels this past summer and remember muttering under my breath, "if I see another 64......"

MU

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread