RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have always had a interest in the unknown - at least until I found algebra. But I still like hearing the stories, the folklore and legends of my area, and surrounding areas. I will start this off, as an example of what to post.

Carter County Kentucky Bigfoot Reports

Carter County Bigfoot? Regional sightings prompt questions | News | journal-times.com

I guess my local "legend", "myth", whatever you call it, is the "bigfoot" in Carter county. Most sightings are of a 7-8 foot tall, dark haired hominid that resembles a very large primate. These sightings have been going on for many years, especially near the Grayson lake area.

I talked to a man about a year ago, and I noticed a vial of hair, and a huge plaster cast behind his shoulder, in a display case. I asked him about it, and he said that a long time ago, (1990's), he started hearing howling noises on the ridge tops near his tree stands. They were deep howls, not like the ones coyotes make, or even dogs. He went to investigate, and as he crested the hill, there was a large jet black hominid, about 7 feet tall. The description he gave, and the description of other accounts, suggests that this is not the Grayson Lake Bigfoot, but rather the "Midnight Whistler", a jet black 7 foot tall Bigfoot in central Kentucky. This bigfoot has been spotted in Central Kentucky, and even as far as Clay county West Virginia.

He then said that the bigfoot threw a large rock at him, hitting him square in the chest. It then let out a ear piercing scream, described as a high pitched whistle or shriek, and then ran off. The man said that he slowly walked back down the hill, and came back the next day. He found foot prints where it had been standing in the mud, and he got the casts. He said the hair is most likely deer hair, but he thought he had better save that too.

Tall tale? Most likely. True account? Maybe.

What's your story?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, I've never seen him but he sure scared my daughter.

She was a passenger in the back seat of my buddy's truck when she saw him crossing a road they were passing.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another local legend is the Wampus Beast. There are a few variations to the story, but I can believe in this one. It is basically an oversized black panther. So why is this a legend? Mainly because black panthers are not found in Kentucky, especially not at this size, and the story behind it.

One story says that an Indian woman followed her husband hunting one day. This was forbidden, so the shaman made her into a panther. Hmm.

Another says that a witch got a little cocky with her spell book, and made a mistake, resulting in this. I call bull on both stories. It is probably just a big black panther that somehow made it's way north.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In Arkansas and Louisiana they're called "Wampus Cats" ... it's Conway, Arkansas high school's mascot!

Old Robert used to say, "they got blood in one eye and scat in the other!"

They're almost as mean as that south Louisiana crocagator --- Now that's one mean critter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread