Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own standards. Here is mine for a dime box:

1 silver dime = Fair
2 silver dimes = Good
3 silver dimes = Excellent
Anything over 3+ = Bonus (and I am happy :laughing9:)

I am trying to build my pile so I can take pics like Diver_Down and his famous cigar containers. My favorite all time CRHing pic. It is a fab pic if you have not seen it! LOL :) Not gonna happen in this lifetime! But I do try. :tongue3:

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Whatever happened to your bag source?
Bags are better than boxes for dimes.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I am averaging(averaged, as I gave up dimes) 1 silver dime per 2 boxes searched or 1 silver dime ecery $500, If I could only average 1 silver dime per box of $250 that is way better than my average. I'll stick with halves. HH!

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I agree with your standards.
Dimes still provide a tiny stream of silver, so volume is the key.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I CRH is the halves because of the 40%ers from 65 - 70, there are around 600 million halves minted between those dates based on various internet sites

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
geeze my recent beginner hunt most not be typical - first roll of halves 40%, a box of dimes + $100 more- netted one 1964 rosie...and my turn over for the next $100 in halves one full roll of 1964 halves. I'm just starting out- is this typical or did I just get really lucky... ::)

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really lucky, I have been doing this for 26 days and have scored big, but I am also on an 11 box skunk streak.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
Apush,

That sounds about right to me. Dimes in my area are counter to what I've seen on this forum. I average one silver dime in about every two boxes. However, CWR dimes have been excellent for me. I average 1 every $100.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my bag source . . . but I can't get to it as often as I like. I work heck of a lot of hours. I cannot wait until I retire :)

Nevertheless, I still keep on moving along!

apush :read2:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
For you, APUSH, since you mentioned it.
Image034.jpg

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

I know those are probably all silver, some look like clad from the pic. Freakin sweet man. Funny because I am trying to fill up a cigar box.

How long did that take you to fill those?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Your standards were right on with mine until the 2011s started showing up. Since then, the standards have dipped to finding 1 is good and 2 is great. I have done nearly 40 boxes a week for the past 3 months but since the decline, I have started buying bags and scaling back on the box orders.

So far in 3 bags, the results have been nearly on par with boxes. The chances of getting a huge score in a bag vs a box seem really good though.

Good luck

MU

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your chart apush, and keep hitting those dimes in between half boxes.

HH

Nick

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Gilmore Happy said:
:notworthy:

I know those are probably all silver, some look like clad from the pic. Freakin sweet man. Funny because I am trying to fill up a cigar box.

How long did that take you to fill those?

They are indeed all silver. The horizontal tubes are Mercs except for the half tube of Barbers. They were all the spoils of hunting. It is a good picture to show others that a silver rim isn't exactly true to determine a keeper. Plenty of black, bent, tarnished, cruddy rims among the bright silver rims. I need to update the picture as it is a few years old. The Merc tubes have since been filled, along with new ones. In addition, there are a few tubes of Rosies to add. As far as how long it took? I have no idea. A few here - a few there, it all adds up. I've never hit the dimes hard. I pick up a box here and there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
2 out of a box is great, I once found 6 Barber dimes in a 12-box order. The String boxes here have always produced nicely. Even the one I searched Monday which gave up 4 or 5, I don't remember, but I did document it somewhere.
I've been looking at crw for the last year and a half, they produce the same as boxed dimes, but there is always the chance of half or solid silver rolls, of which I have found several.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Wow, definately one of the pics I will think about whenever im thinking about some of you smartie pants who figured this out back before everyone wanted silver... Amazing

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds good to me, I have been hitting 1 to 2 per box :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Looks like I need to smoke a few cigars so I can get some nice containers for dimes :) Currently using a pop-top medicine bottle... obviously I haven't collected too many yet.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Apush - Have you ever come upon a really good dime box? Say with 15+ that was obviously part of a dumped collection? It's very odd as my average is 1.63 silver dimes per box ($250) but the most I've ever seen in a box has been 13. It's almost always 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread