Your thoughts on this.........

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saw this ad placed on cl today. what do you think this type of ad will do to/for our hobby? I was thinking of telling him that I have a house built in the 1890's; he can detect it but I want $50.00 up front!

Do you live in a home built in the early 1900's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-12-11, 3:41PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you live in a home built in the early 1900's you could have treasures buried in your yard. Every day coins are dropped and left. You could have many coins worth 100's of dollars just waintng to be found. I can use my metal detector to find those treasures for you! just respond to this ad for more information.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2747999476

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My home was build in 1923 and I've yet to find silver in the yard. I have found a 100 y.o. make up tin, two spoons one of which was silver plated, and a couple of skeleton keys. Not enough to make me rich. But great history.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as he is up front and honest with them of his intentions then I don't see anything wrong with it.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must've missed something in the translation somewhere... I searched our yard front & back earlier when I got into TH'ing. Guess I'm not sure why a Detectorist would have another Detectorist search his/her yard for them. I'm truly NOT trying to be a smarta__ here...just confused. :dontknow:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you want $50 up front to detect your yard. Did you call him and find out the details......Matt

OP
OP
S IL THer

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the confusion on this, this is an ad i saw on craigs list by someone describing what "could" in your yard and that whatever could be worth lots of money; i just thought an ad like this (if seen by a lot of people) may not be good for the hobby; that is people thinking their yards have lots of high dollar items in them. if people start thinking that way it may be harder to gain permission to detect a yard or anywhere else. i have detected 100's of yards and fields and have yet to find a key date coin or coming anywhere close to breaking even. my point on asking someone to detect my fictional yard for an asking fee of $50 was to see if they had enough faith in the propaganda they were spreading. yes, i detect and i don't need anyone else detecting my yard.
also he doesn't state if he wants to share of if he is willing to dig it all up for the land owner . this just seemed to be an odd ad.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see exactly where you're coming from. People have not a clue how many pulltabs and shotgun shells etc (trash) we dig before we even find a dollars worth of clad after driving 10 to 60 miles or more just to arrive on the site. Great points...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people don't think there is realy anything worthwhile
in their yard anyway.
Unless they heard stories of the History.
Then they think they have a goldmine & watch you like a Hawk.
or buy a detector.

I Don't believe The add will Change that.

& unless they are desperate for
Money & Think having you over
will be their Survival, will probably just
skim over the ad with a Chuckle,
or say Hey, I always wonderd about those Gizmos,
Lets Invite him over :tongue3:

I would contact him & Try & Get to know him.
Invite him over to search, Or invite him to
search somewhere else with you.
Check out his recovery habits which is more Important,
& Perhaps get to join him on some of his hunts,
if he gets responses. :laughing7:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think anyway possible to get "New searching sites" is a +1 to me!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kayden said:
I think anyway possible to get "New searching sites" is a +1 to me!

Seems the ad is forthright in wanting to find new places to hunt. It is the adventure that we all seek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread