YouTubers and content

DiggingSicilia

Oct 22, 2023
Sicily
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Anyone on the forum have a YouTube channel that they actively post content?

I've been thinking about it but when I go detecting I get so focused on detecting, I always forget I have a camera strapped to my chest and another in my pocket. Living in Sicily has some unique opportunities for metal detecting as well as sightseeing type videos. I have the hardware and software for video production. I also have experience using it and teaching high schoolers the basics of cinema photography and video editing.

My first thoughts were to link the finds from detecting with the history of the area. But then I also thought about having metal detecting videos and travel/sightseeing videos. I'm just afraid video editing will take away from the metal detecting time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

-Stacy

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Is metal detecting legal there is Sicily? Last thing you want to is film yourself breaking the law.There are regions where the use of metal detectors is prohibited – e.g., Valle d'Aosta, Calabria, Lazio, Tuscany, Sicily.

Crow

OP
OP
DiggingSicilia

DiggingSicilia

Oct 22, 2023
Sicily
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Is metal detecting legal there is Sicily? Last thing you want to is film yourself breaking the law.There are regions where the use of metal detectors is prohibited – e.g., Valle d'Aosta, Calabria, Lazio, Tuscany, Sicily.

Crow
It is. The law that prohibited it was an antiquities law from 1939. It was abolished in 2006 with the new cultural heritage laws, which have been amended several times. The courts have been leaning more for the private citizens that have acquired items legally.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD POSTING DiggingS

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to create a video while detecting or any type of treasure hunting definitely makes things more difficult. The main thing is what you mentioned, that it takes away from digging time. A lot of metal detecting is a numbers game, so the faster you can make recoveries the more likely you are to make quality finds. If you decide to film a signal, it easily doubles or triples the amount of time it takes, maybe more. Then you have to include editing time as well, which could be spent researching locations.

For me personally, it doesn't matter because making videos is something I've enjoyed my whole life from skateboarding, surfing, general tomfoolery, and now this stuff. The filming is just another fun thing for me, not more work, which I think makes a big difference.

I'll add that that im no seasoned veteran of YouTube, I only have 3 videos.

Overall, id say go for it. I think it's a lot of fun and it seems like you also enjoy making videos already.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over 50 metal detecting videos I've posted on YouTube over the years. Nothing fancy, but people seem to enjoy them. No special effects or music blaring in the background! And definitely no shameless plugs for detecting gear.

I rarely do live digs because it's too much of a hassle. Too many clips of me digging up shotgun shells or other junk. I just shoot a video of what I just found, along with info such as the depth of the coin or relic and what VDI number it rang up as on my AT Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkynyrdTim/videos

OP
OP
DiggingSicilia

DiggingSicilia

Oct 22, 2023
Sicily
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I have over 50 metal detecting videos I've posted on YouTube over the years. Nothing fancy, but people seem to enjoy them. No special effects or music blaring in the background! And definitely no shameless plugs for detecting gear.

I rarely do live digs because it's too much of a hassle. Too many clips of me digging up shotgun shells or other junk. I just shoot a video of what I just found, along with info such as the depth of the coin or relic and what VDI number it rang up as on my AT Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkynyrdTim/videos
I'd be searching up and down that rock wall. How old is it?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, having two people out there, one with a detector, the other with camera, when a good signal comes up, you dig it up, the other one filmsit, and if it's junk, delete, and continue on. Sounds like it could be a good way to go, EXCEPT if the guy with the camera is ALSO a detectorist then it may not work out so swell, it would be, put down the camera and fire up his own detector if really good things are popping up, I mean, how could one not?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be searching up and down that rock wall. How old is it?

Most of the stone walls around my area are from the 1700's and early 1800's. I do run my coil over most walls, but I've never found anything good. I also eyeball them, hoping to spot an 1800's whiskey bottle! Hasn't happened yet, but I'll keep trying.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that hears the term "YouTubers" and thinks it's like someone insulting people by calling them potatoes? "You're like potatoes! You tubers!"

Hmmm.... YouTubers.... potatoes.... couch potatoes... maybe it does all make sense...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread