ziplock waterproofing?

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Deep do you think I can go with my detector box in two heavy ziplock bags that I will silicone shut at the seam and put extra silicone where the coil cable comes out? I need it to go to about 10 feet. I will need to suck all the extra air out of the bags. I thought about testing it by putting some crumbled newspaper in the bags first with piece of scrap cable hanging out and then sinking it to about 15 feet for 10 minutes to see if the paper gets wet. any thoughts? I also thought about making a 6" pvc housing which would be safer.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much does your detector cost to replace? Bite the bullet and get a real water detector.....

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
Sounds risky. I've seen waterproof boxes(clear and colored) and bags on the internet, cant remember the brand. maybe someone will chime in. Let us know what you do and how well it works

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:
How much does your detector cost to replace? Bite the bullet and get a real water detector.....
Some things are only learned the hard way.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FatCat said:
How Deep do you think I can go with my detector box in two heavy ziplock bags that I will silicone shut at the seam and put extra silicone where the coil cable comes out? I need it to go to about 10 feet. I will need to suck all the extra air out of the bags. I thought about testing it by putting some crumbled newspaper in the bags first with piece of scrap cable hanging out and then sinking it to about 15 feet for 10 minutes to see if the paper gets wet. any thoughts? I also thought about making a 6" pvc housing which would be safer.

As deep as you want, it will be a good canoe anchor after you do it........

I have double zip locked my car keys and came out of the water with water in the bag.... I bought a waterproof bag for my keys..... Water pressure increases quickly.......

I highly recommend you do not do it.................

OP
OP
FatCat

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I don't have the disposable funds to spend on a waterproof detector and I have an older bounty hunter that I picked up as a backup detector. I don't normally do any water hunting and just cant see dropping the money on something I would use once every 5 to 10 years. The 6 inch PVC is said to be able to go to 80 feet, it sounds like an option. like i said, I will be at a max of 8 to 10 feet in a freshwater swimming hole.

OP
OP
FatCat

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to build it and try it without the detector box inside, I can test it in 30 feet of water next time I go fishing. If it stays dry at 30 feet then I should be ok. The chamber will be 5 or 6 inch pvc with one end cap glued and siliconed and the other end a screw in cap fitted with a rubber stopper around the coil wire reinforced and sealed with silicone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which case or PVC you use, the air inside will condense on the electronics and make the detector unstable. Water detectors are never opened except to change the batteries once in awhile. But good luck with the experiment.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to rain proof my old CZ and the water made it through the bag and the detector stopped working. Was a bad idea.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you buy a used AT PRO, I just saw one that sold for $375 used on another forum... Seen several Sand Sharks for sale used, both of these can be used on land as well.... If you decide after using them you don't like them you can always sell them for what you paid for them.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread