EXCAL RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
[size=12pt]I have a 2-3 yr old Excalibur 800. Original battery packs.
I always plug it in for at least 12 hrs before I hunt. Never ran out of juice even once, no matter how long I kept hunting.
Okay - so I recharged the batteries last friday in preparation for a hunt on Saturday, but I never went. I'm wondering if I should plug the battery unit back onto the charger. I haven't used it, but the detector has been sitting for a week. Should I expect an appreciable amount of energy loss just from time passing? Since I can't determine how "full" the batteries are, I'm just guessing. I'm tempted to put the pack back on the charger, but is it possible to "overcharge" them?
Thanks!
Ruth

Upvote 0

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Recharge them..NiCads lose charge with time. I just replaced my battery with a battery pack insert off E-Bay..1400 mah, over twice the charge life of yours. Nickel metal halide..long life, no recharge memory. NiCads that are constantly recharged before they are discharged develop "memory". In retrospect, I would have a back-up battery pack if I still was using the old 600 mah NiCads.

I also use an Excalibur 800, btw.

G

gamiller

recharge them I was told by minelab service to recharge them once a week (12-15 hrs]. I also use a cheap light timer so as not to exceed 15 hrs. on a charge. Keep in mind that minelab reps are only a phone call away, this way you would be getting advice straight from the horses mouth. Greg

OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hey! Thanks for the quick responses. I decided to err on the side of recharging so that's what I did about the same time as I posted the question.
And, of course!, I could have called the Minelab folks, but this was more fun. I'd rather check in with the real experts! here on this site.
Thanks again!
Ruth

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i have one of the original excals.....before the 800s and 1000s...so old it even has the seasearch" coil on it ....i leave the battery in the excal all the time...only charge it when it starts giving the low battery signal....charge it for a couple hours then its good for another week or week and a half of use...usually hunt a couple hours 4 or 5 times a week....if i am planning a longer hunt i will charge it overnight......on a full charge ...all night and till i get home from work the battery will usually last 12 - 15 hours of use

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread