Bank is willing to order Ikes

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I would for sure!
The one thing that is less circulated that halves, would be Ike's.
What do you have to lose?
Be sure they dont order you box of the new dollar coins or anything like that..
Now THAT would be a waste of time.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
I would do it- Buy a box, search it, and try to sell the clad for a slight profit. I have checked many banks and could not find one that would order for me-
if only
N8

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found banks that are willing to order, but the delivery service would not provide them. Halves are still in production but Ikes are not, so the services will not ship them.

My dream is to get a box of Ikes. Can you imagine how many Peace and Morgans may be in that?

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midntmn said:
My dream is to get a box of Ikes. Can you imagine how many Peace and Morgans may be in that?

might not be to many because they could take out the "foreign" coins.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The services do not own the coin so I do not see why they would not ship. Ill go ahead with the order and see what happens. I have good relationships with several vault tellers in the area.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I did it once. Man are they heavy. Didn't find anything though. Never tried again since.

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, please keep us posted! Could be some very valuable finds!

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone that has ordered would mind naming the bank they used(or PM me) I would love to try to convince one in my area to order...
N8

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I used to be able to order IKES years ago until the bank stopped it. It don't come in a box, they come in a bag. Count them at the bank so you make sure it's right. Sometimes, they have other coins in there like a quarter or a SBA in the bag. I have gotten a few silver dollars that way (a couple 40%ers and a couple Morgans (1888 & 1921)) but not at any high rate. I'd say I've gotten more in searching a box of halves back then than a bag of IKES. Keep in mind, I did a lot of bags so to get a couple silvers in there was extremely lucky in my opinion. However that was back then, 2003 era. I get skunked in halves boxes a lot now so the comparison wouldn't hurt anymore. I recall I did sold the nice ones for a little over face on Feebay while I spent the junk ones.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Completely worth it. Even if you don't find any silver many people are willing to pay premiums for just clad Ikes.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
Completely worth it. Even if you don't find any silver many people are willing to pay premiums for just clad Ikes.

I dont have the time or inclination to sit on 1K in clad ikes with the hope someone might pay me a slight premium for a couple of them. If its not silver its going back. ;D

The bank is Wells Fargo. :icon_thumright:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
namster said:
That Canadian Guy said:

I dont have the time or inclination to sit on 1K in clad ikes with the hope someone might pay me a slight premium for a couple of them. If its not silver its going back. ;D

The bank is Wells Fargo. :icon_thumright:

Hmmm .. strange I used to be able to do it with BoA long ago until they told me they can't do it anymore. Maybe WF has different policy? I've never tried with WF. I recall I was doing pretty ok with just selling the better ones off on Feebay and dumping or spending the rest. Prices aren't what they were years ago. Strange for IKE dollars. I don't get why they would drop off in price. When you spend those IKES, without a doubt, people will think they are cool. One thing is that they can easily confuse the order with small dollar coins so be aware that if they don't do it right, they would end up with a bunch of presidential dollar or SBA coins. They're always looking for an excuse to get rid of those things. Also they said at the time that they will ship IKES out if they have any in their vault. Sometimes, I guess they didn't have any or wait for an accumulation from banks sent to their vault. It's not like halves where there seems to be an almost endless supply where one can order 20+ boxes a week.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would kill to be able to order Ikes not just for seaching but for spending. I adore using ikes but i can never find more then 1 or 2 at a bank, I have been debating even trying to stop by the new york reserve bank with $1000 in hand and trying to ask for a bag :dontknow:

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Hmmm .. strange I used to be able to do it with BoA long ago until they told me they can't do it anymore. Maybe WF has different policy? I've never tried with WF. I recall I was doing pretty ok with just selling the better ones off on Feebay and dumping or spending the rest. Prices aren't what they were years ago. Strange for IKE dollars. I don't get why they would drop off in price. When you spend those IKES, without a doubt, people will think they are cool. One thing is that they can easily confuse the order with small dollar coins so be aware that if they don't do it right, they would end up with a bunch of presidential dollar or SBA coins. They're always looking for an excuse to get rid of those things. Also they said at the time that they will ship IKES out if they have any in their vault. Sometimes, I guess they didn't have any or wait for an accumulation from banks sent to their vault. It's not like halves where there seems to be an almost endless supply where one can order 20+ boxes a week.

I actually showed her an Ike when I asked, but I had thought about that too. I almost bought $2700 in Sacs from one bank before I found out they were not Ikes lol.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get Ikes, order them. They will come in a bag. You wont see these rolled. I ran into a fellow CRH at a coin shop here and got into the discussion about searching Ikes. He get them somewhere through connections but he has found quite a few Morgans, Peace and even a trade dollar. Wish I knew where to get them. The big problem is going to be dumping them. Coin machines dont take them and tellers dont want them from my experience. I had to go through the branch manager just to deposit about $50 worth at a Wells branch. A royal pain in the you know what. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread