Iron Wrap Around Settings - Be Careful!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening friends, I would like to take a moment to reiterate a point that has been made by both calabash digger and vferrari; be careful with iron wrap around settings! Just last weekend I was hunting a spot that I've pounded with my AT Pro. I was using a 12K coin shooting program that I came up with (see below for settings) and got a very clean sounding 97. I was sure that it was a coin even though it read quite high as a TID. I switched to the 8K version of my coin shooting program and the TID adjusted appropriately so I knew to dig. Low and behold there was a crusty large cent approximately 10 inches down in the hole! A US large cent should be a 92-94 depending on corrosion / wear. Moral of the story; forget about iron wrap around settings, use your ear, and create different (frequency) versions of your base programs!

If for example, your 12K program displays a 98 for your TID, switching to 8K should also display a 98 if the target is ferrous. If however the target is non ferrous then the TID should adjust appropriately based on the frequency. In this case, if I hadn't listened to calabash digger and vferrari I would have only walked over a large cent. Clearly however, it could have been much worse! The XP Deus definitely up averages deep non ferrous targets, don't find out the hard way!

Mikes12 Coin Shooting Program - Disclaimer, this is a safe and stable coin shooting program that has worked very well for me in Western Mass. Make the appropriate adjustments based upon your location / soil.

ID Norm = Off

DISC 10

4 Tones
120 Hz
400 Hz (10-77) 8K (10-70)
600 Hz (78-88) 8K (71-84)
800 Hz (89-99) 8K (85-99)

Sensitivity 90
TX Power 2
Frequency 12K
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 2
Silencer 2
Audio Resp 4
Notch 00-00

Ground Manual (90)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ID norm is defaulted to be ON.
So yes turn it off.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil was you using? Just curious....

Nice write up.

jim

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey sleepyjim, I own the 11 inch LF coil. I don't always love the size of the 11 inch coil but it has treated me well so far. To make a long story short, I bought my machine from someone who used it 3 times and needed to get out of the machine due to its complexity. I ended up getting the WS5 headphones, control unit, silicone case, leather belt holster, and the warranty with 4 years, 8 months left on it for $800 so I really don't have anything to complain about!

Mike

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey sleepyjim, I own the 11 inch LF coil. I don't always love the size of the 11 inch coil but it has treated me well so far. To make a long story short, I bought my machine from someone who used it 3 times and needed to get out of the machine due to its complexity. I ended up getting the WS5 headphones, control unit, silicone case, leather belt holster, and the warranty with 4 years, 8 months left on it for $800 so I really don't have anything to complain about!

Mike

sounds like an awesome deal

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the onle thing that I wonder about is that nickles come in around 55 in 12K and with your setting you might miss them as that 2nd tone area is so large. What if you made it a 5 tone program and had 50 to 60 another tone? That's what I usually do. I also make the 2nd tone the same as the 1st and then ignore it. Just wonderin"... gene

Good evening friends, I would like to take a moment to reiterate a point that has been made by both calabash digger and vferrari; be careful with iron wrap around settings! Just last weekend I was hunting a spot that I've pounded with my AT Pro. I was using a 12K coin shooting program that I came up with (see below for settings) and got a very clean sounding 97. I was sure that it was a coin even though it read quite high as a TID. I switched to the 8K version of my coin shooting program and the TID adjusted appropriately so I knew to dig. Low and behold there was a crusty large cent approximately 10 inches down in the hole! A US large cent should be a 92-94 depending on corrosion / wear. Moral of the story; forget about iron wrap around settings, use your ear, and create different (frequency) versions of your base programs!

If for example, your 12K program displays a 98 for your TID, switching to 8K should also display a 98 if the target is ferrous. If however the target is non ferrous then the TID should adjust appropriately based on the frequency. In this case, if I hadn't listened to calabash digger and vferrari I would have only walked over a large cent. Clearly however, it could have been much worse! The XP Deus definitely up averages deep non ferrous targets, don't find out the hard way!

Mikes12 Coin Shooting Program - Disclaimer, this is a safe and stable coin shooting program that has worked very well for me in Western Mass. Make the appropriate adjustments based upon your location / soil.

ID Norm = Off

DISC 10

4 Tones
120 Hz

Sensitivity 90
TX Power 2
Frequency 12K
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 2
Silencer 2
Audio Resp 4
Notch 00-00

Ground Manual (90)

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea gene_the_machine! I kept the tone area large as you put it and might use a 5th tone once I figure out the lower end of the spectrum a little bit better. I've been crushing it with this program so far so then again I might just leave things alone!

Mike

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ID Norm = Off

DISC 10

4 Tones
120 Hz

Sensitivity 90
TX Power 2
Frequency 12K
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 2
Silencer 2
Audio Resp 4
Notch 00-00

Ground Manual (90)

Good post! Yes conditions that warrant a settings change can happen in 50 feet sometimes. Any time you see a change in the ground coverage or dirt that is a good indicator!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread