Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I included this video in my Today's Finds post earlier today, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...q-sidewalk-field-equinox-vs-deus-compare.html

But I thought the video itself deserved to be posted separately in the Equinox forum because it shows why I've gone back to using my Equinox in "clean" fields (i.e. fields that don't have a lot of iron, like the park in the video).

I'm not saying the Deus isn't great; in the right situations I think it's superior to the Equinox.
But at this park I've decided the Equinox is the go-to detector.

Here are my general rules of thumb:
- parks: Equinox
- beach: Equinox
- old homesites (1800's): Deus
- farm fields: Deus

- If I'm looking for depth: Equinox
- If I'm looking for separation of good targets from iron: Deus
- If I'm looking for a specific coin (i.e. silver): Equinox (it's VDI is quite reliable)
- If I'm looking for good targets (relics, any type of coin) in iron or a farm field: Deus (you can use it in a bed of nails and it will pick out a penny)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future.
(NOTE: I'm not a YouTuber and I'm not looking for views or subscriptions; I'm just trying to share my experience and little bit of knowledge.)

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with me. I grab the Nox for 90% of my general hunting and only bring out the Deus to squeeze the last few relics out of the nail beds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great comparison Brian, and that's what I say all the time it's the only way to compare 2 machines.
Well done on the silver and other finds.
I wondered though why you get such a high # with the Deus on the copper?

Maybe it's the program that I run that I very seldom see low-mid 90's for a small copper.
Thanks for the video comparison and it makes me think that the 800 isn't too far away from the stable.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only read through your summary but those are the same conclusions I reached.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good job!
I experienced relatively the same results when I compared my Deus with the Equinox 800. The Deus, with its selectable frequencies and wide ranging settings, did not perform as well as my Equinox 800 in the environments I normally hunt. It became clear to me that one had to "guess" at the right settings/frequency if you wanted to increase your odds of finding good targets where the EQX, with its Multi IQ, didn't require such "guess work." In the end, I sold the Deus and never looked back.

Again, this is just what I found in the environments I hunt here in Florida. A like comparison in other environments/conditions may give different results.

Just the view from my foxhole....

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So deus only use in heavy iron areas, old foundations etc, other than that stick with equinox and save a few hundred dollars, would that be acceptable statement

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So deus only use in heavy iron areas, old foundations etc, other than that stick with equinox and save a few hundred dollars, would that be acceptable statement

49er12, I would modify your statement as follows:

"So if I'm only hunting in heavy iron areas, old foundations etc, then I should get the Deus. Other than that, if I'm detecting a wide variety of locations (including parks, beaches, etc.) then stick with equinox and save a few hundred dollars."

For the record, I'm super happy I have both of these tools in my toolbox. This is my #1 hobby (only hobby), so I feel like having two quality detectors was justifiable, and I bounce back and forth between hunting old iron-infested sites and parks, depending on the time of year. (My favorite 1700's era farm field has stuff growing on it right now, so I'm in parks more). Having both detectors allows me to use what I think is the right tool at each location.

But, if a family member/friend asked for the one single detector to buy, I'd suggest the Equinox for its overall flexibility (it still works in iron infested fields but you'll dig a lot of bent nails) and the predictability/accuracy of the VDI.

Exception: I had a person here in town ask me about what detector to buy. She owns 40 acres with an old mill, 1800's homesite with house and barns, and old farm fields (now woods) on the property. She told me she will only detect her property with her nieces and nephews when they visit from out of town. She has disposable income to spend and didn't mind the cost of a good detector.
I recommended that she buy the XP Deus - which she did - and I came over and helped her set up a program that would be appropriate for her location. She's a smart lady and can figure out how the Deus works if she ever wants to tweak it, but she likes that she just turns it on and hunts. (She hasn't found any 1800's coins yet but I suspect they are there, and she did find a Mercury dime.) (Just so it's clear: I'm not a dealer. I just try to help folks with my honest opinions based on my experience.)

So - I guess it all depends on peoples' specific situations. There's no single perfect answer.

- Brian

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and info here! I tell my customers all the time. Want the best iron and trash machine grab the XP Deus Metal Detector. Want a silver coin slayer? Get the Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector!

I am a coin guy so the 800 is my first choice. VERY VERY hard to beat the 800.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both and COMPLETELY concur with those conclusions! My Nox stays in the truck in the spring & fall when I'm doing old homesites in farm fields. But in modern trash like parks and ballfields, the Nox rules. When it comes to yards in existing old homes... that is harder to call. Depends a lot on my mood and on the sort of trash found in the yard. But it is great having both machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread