anyone have a GTAx 550

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I used a borrowed GTAx 550 for a couple of months this summer. After a couple months swinging a Discovery 3300, the GTAx 550 seemed significantly heavier.

The controls and display on the 550 are easy to use, but I wasn't really impressed with the pinpoint feature. I frequently had to try a few times to get it to work. The 550 found several coins that my 3300 had missed. I found the targed I.D. to be very accurate, but I didn't find coins as deep as with the 3300.

The arm cuff on the GTA is too wide and isn't adjustable, so it would slap my arm at the end of each swing. It does have a battery pack with a belt clip, but I found that leaving it on the machine was more efficient, even with the greater weight. Taking it off changed the center of gravity and I didn't like the power cord stretching from my waist to the machine.

Overall I liked it and I don't think you would be disappointed with it. Were I to buy a new machine today, I would probably look elswhere, but wouldn't pass up a good deal on this one.

OP
OP
D

daniel74868

I just got in today. I played with it for about an hour before the sun went down. I dont really like the pinpoint feature either. but I do love the hand held pinpointer I ordered, its great!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 550 for some reason misses coins,buttons and nickels in the coin mode.Try the all metal mode and it will show everything.It takes some getting use to.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my 550 for just about a year, I really like it but keep in mind that I do not have the experiences of higher end detector's to be spoiled by either. I graduated from a Bounty 101.

I don't know anything about the 3300 that Davisdog speaks of, but everything else he says I agree with. The detachable battery pack is a nice idea but I hated the cord stretching from me to the machine and when I squat down and lay the machine on the ground I do not have much movement of the detector when I sit there and re-scan the hole. So I no longer detach it and deal with the extra weight of the batteries. Not too bad though.

The pinpointing works most of the time, it's the only thing about this machine that I wish worked better. But if I keep thumb pressing the button it'll take usually the 2nd or 3rd time. IT IS EXTREMELY ACCURATE when it zero's in on the target! It's the best!!!

Depth reading is pretty accurate also. Never any problems with this feature.

I have learned that the deeper targets (7" or more) are sporatic on the screen. To this day I still can't be sure what it's reading but learning that if it's significant enough of a reading that it's a coin. Indian Head cents do this a lot to me. Also coins angled enough in the dirt are giving those "iffy" signals no matter how shallow or deep the targets are.

I also have a neat little cover for it to help keep it dry if it's raining a bit or whatever, but the cover is real tight and actually does not fit well enough, could be a bit larger. When I do use this cover, the plastic window quickly becomes all fogged up underneith and you can't view the screen at all.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate this an 8.

Chris

Russell

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2007
YES i Have one I'm very happy with it but i would like move up to a deferent one to find gold.does any one have any sugestons? i'm limited on funds.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
For gold hunting on a budget try the Minelab Xterra70 . I have them on sale for 699.95 with two coils ; one is a gold hunting coil. Give me a call.
860-623-1153

Russell

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2007
WOULD ANY ONE BE INTERRESTED IN BYEING A GARRETT GTAx 550? I WOULD LIKE TO BYE A Minelab Xterra70 THIS WOULD HELP PAY FOR ONE.

Russell

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2007
a trade in for a X70.

would this be a new or a used Minelab X-Terra 70
and how would we make the transaction

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread