KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a comment on the battery indication and life span.

Just because it powers up and the indicator shows 50% or two bars on the meter, does not mean you have the power needed to function at full performance.

I was struggling to detect coins I planted with low battery. I swapped the batteries and they rang so solid I had to turn down the volume. Keep in mind when you drop to 50% or less you're not getting full function any longer.

I relate this the gas tank in a car, it might indicate empty fair enough, but when the needle is at 50% it certainly does not mean you have half the gasoline (diesel) remaining in the tank.

Maybe my AT Pro is unique at reporting the remaining power. But I know that at 50% or just under I'm changing batteries now.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Thanks for the heads up KJ&nugget!

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I am looking to purchase an At Pro in the near future. What kind of battery life are you getting then, assuming you replace at 50%?

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a awesome observation that the effectiveness of the discrimination is reduced as battery level drops. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a common trait among detectors that have the ability to discriminate?

freddy78

Feb 25, 2013
Shelbyille TN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always changed my batteries when it gets low. Just gives you that comfort of knowing your machine has the juice to do the job. You make a good point though and just makes me feel better that it just wasn't me thinking that

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will change my batts out when they hit the 2 bars and use the rest of the battery life for my grandson's toys. or my GPS. Last year I used some NiMH rechargeables and had a very poor year so I am going back to the Duracells. The NiMH batts only have a output of 1.2 volts at best so they are good for my GPS but they don't give me the warm and fuzzies that I like with my MDers.
I have found that the AT Pro does get good battery life out of the duracells.

One more thing about the batteries is the clip that holds them. When I first got my ATP I dropped the clip when extracting it from the ATP and the top broke right off. I was able to tape it together so I could still use it untill I got a replacement, plus a back up. I keep the back up loaded with fresh batts for quick changes in the field, I just tape over the contacts so they don't become shorted.

ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread