Just Ordered the AT Pro

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a hard decision between the AT Pro and the Racer 2. Not wanting to get caught up in being political here. But the social unrest (failed military coup) in Turkey played a big part in my decision.

I really also like to support my country (God Bless Texas) and also support the vendors here Medal Detecting Stuff Very special thanks to Wayne. He was patient with me and really help get me all that I wanted & keep the wife happy by staying in budget

I got the AT Pro New, I added the Garrett orange pin pointer ,1 extra coil 5X8 , and 2 covers for coil. Wayne threw in a T-shirt and his card for me to call if I have any problems on the weekend. I also got into today the original Detecting Buddy by Extreme Detecting. This week My Tereso Bandido should be back from being serviced for a backup and also to use if I take a friend

Great Guy
Thanks to all on helping me

Tom

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You are now loaded for BEAR! Looking forward to see some of your finds. If you need any help. just ask!

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you didn't put too much stock in some of the more negative nancy's viewpoints around here.

The AT Pro takes a little time to learn, so read lots, ask for advice and watch Garrett's YouTube instructional videos - it's worth the effort. Enjoy your new detector!

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins are easy to learn it is the rest that will take time to learn . Put 100 plus hours in standard mode and then go pro . I now run pro zero mode and the silver is popping out of the ground . I second the garrett youtube vids . Very helpful ....

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a hard decision between the AT Pro and the Racer 2. Not wanting to get caught up in being political here. But the social unrest (failed military coup) in Turkey played a big part in my decision.

I really also like to support my country (God Bless Texas) and also support the vendors here Medal Detecting Stuff Very special thanks to Wayne. He was patient with me and really help get me all that I wanted & keep the wife happy by staying in budget

I got the AT Pro New, I added the Garrett orange pin pointer ,1 extra coil 5X8 , and 2 covers for coil. Wayne threw in a T-shirt and his card for me to call if I have any problems on the weekend. I also got into today the original Detecting Buddy by Extreme Detecting. This week My Tereso Bandido should be back from being serviced for a backup and also to use if I take a friend

Great Guy
Thanks to all on helping me

Tom

Good choice on the 5x8, it transforms the AT Pro into a beast. So much better than the stock coil. Lucky hunting!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GO for the Pro mode Zero, iron at 32 from the start. why waste time and then have to learn ii all over again. I have thousands of hours on my Pro and I still am getting better with it. Try setting up a test garden, bury different coins at different levels to learn the sounds and how it reacts. Also forgot full sensitivity. Guess what if you want to get good deep targets you'll also get deep trash. When you have a good deep target raise the coil up slowly as you sweep the target. This will cause ma lot of trash signals to break up. GOod luck. Also you might want to watch some of the Hoover boys U tube videos to see how it's done

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
You are going to love it, great machine. The 5x8 is the perfect coil in most conditions, just on the non-trashy wet sand on my beach I would have liked something that covers more ground so I ordered the Nel Hunter coil. I'm already up to 280€ and only down 2993€ for all my gear so nearly 10% covered :)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant go wrong with the pro. Heres my suggestion go straight to pro zero mode with no discrim and sensitivity one bar down from wide open and learn your machine that way. IF YOU START OUT IN STANDARD you will have to learn the machine 2 TIMES! Pro mode out performs standard just seems like the logical place to start for me as you will be hunting in that mode anyway in the end. its not that hard to learn. I found some killer stuff when I swung the pro as my primary detector. Others have different takes on where to start so you will have to decide for yourself. IF YOU RELIC HUNT you need to the iron.

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, I am not having any problems in Pro mode I do have the sensitivity turned down 2 notches instead of 1. I guess ,I am kind of use to it(pro mode) from having the Tereso Bandido ..I thought since it had been 25 years I would need to start in the standard mode....I guess it is like ridng a bike. I know each time you take it out an put hours the better you get. I know you do get faster also...My big thing that hurts me is my disabilities but I am having a good time. My wife is going to help me with getting into the holes.

She will be using the pinpointer more than me. We had a good time when we first got married MD. I know she is wanting to find rings and I do have a perfect place on the Lake to go
Thanks to all for all the good advice.

You cant go wrong with the pro. Heres my suggestion go straight to pro zero mode with no discrim and sensitivity one bar down from wide open and learn your machine that way. IF YOU START OUT IN STANDARD you will have to learn the machine 2 TIMES! Pro mode out performs standard just seems like the logical place to start for me as you will be hunting in that mode anyway in the end. its not that hard to learn. I found some killer stuff when I swung the pro as my primary detector. Others have different takes on where to start so you will have to decide for yourself. IF YOU RELIC HUNT you need to the iron.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree with calabash. After watching the videos that come on a CD (with the machine) I spent about an hour playing around in standard mode. I immediately switched to pro zero to learn what the rolling tones were telling me. I then notched out the trash I was pulling out on that particular site (it was very consistent...to the point where I was calling it everytime because I was digging everything)...and saved that to Custom in pro mode. The ATP is not difficult to learn. It is a very simple machine, what can be difficult is learning the language (rolling tones) and what they mean. Therefore I would also go to pro mode.

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO for the Pro mode Zero, iron at 32 from the start. why waste time and then have to learn ii all over again. I have thousands of hours on my Pro and I still am getting better with it. Try setting up a test garden, bury different coins at different levels to learn the sounds and how it reacts. Also forgot full sensitivity. Guess what if you want to get good deep targets you'll also get deep trash. When you have a good deep target raise the coil up slowly as you sweep the target. This will cause ma lot of trash signals to break up. GOod luck. Also you might want to watch some of the Hoover boys U tube videos to see how it's done

This is very similar to how I run mine except I run the iron on 38. You will get lots of enjoyment from your new purchase! I know I have and look forward to the times I take it out.

mr

DaleinFL

Jun 18, 2016
Port St Lucie, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 ///
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Good luck with the search and please keep us all updated on your finds

Dale

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT Pro back in April and couldn't be happier. I have already found my first flat button and first silver quarter (1958 Washie) this year and I don't even get out all that much, maybe 2-3 times a month and no more than 3-4 hours at a pop. Just got that silver quarter last weekend on an outing that barely lasted 1 hour. My older detector is a Tesoro Cibola and I never have quite mastered that one, have well over 150 hours into it, too. I think detectors are like cars, some models work better for you than others and the next guy might say just the opposite.

I run mine in Custom mode, nothing notched out, and Iron discrim at 37. I can tell you from experience, don't be afraid to dig those signals down into the low 40s. I found a 10K gold-plated silver earring that rang up at 40. The silver Washie rang up at 60, I think because there was some foil not far from it.

My only minor complaint is the headphones that come with it are mediocre at best. Sound is okay, but the volume buttons are kinda loosey-goosey and can rotate easily. I find sometimes I have inadvertently turned one down as I'm taking the headphones off/putting them back on. I hope to upgrade to some Deteknix wireless soon. And remember the AT Pro doesn't have a standard 3.5" headphone jack, their connection jack seems to be their own proprietary type. Not sure why, but again, that's just a minor complaint.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And remember the AT Pro doesn't have a standard 3.5" headphone jack, their connection jack seems to be their own proprietary type. Not sure why, but again, that's just a minor complaint.

Because it has to be waterproof.

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very thankful for this thread. I consider myself new to detecting and am learning tons from what everyone shares on here. I just received my ATPro and am waiting on the Amphibians( tomorrow?) there is a combined wealth of information on here. It makes it seem less of too difficult a challenge learning my machine. I had also bought the 5x8 coil from reading everybody's posts and as far as I've read, I believe I've made the right decision. Most gracious thanks to everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread