Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used screens exactly like the first ones when I used to work with the CGCAS here in West Central FL back in the day... but those second screens with the tripod looks alot more functional!
Neat! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
The tri pod is awesome....I am building mt own right now....all for around $10. I got a free 2X4...spent $2.16 on the wire and nails....then bought 2 handles today for 3.99 each. I will post a pic when it is finished.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Bran I did not know you used to work for the CGCAS. I have a couple of old ones that have seen better days. I also like that tripod one. We always put ours on rocks but you would have to constantly dig out under the sifter. That u-shaped one would be a shaker sifter right Greg ???

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Cool Bran I did not know you used to work for the CGCAS. I have a couple of old ones that have seen better days. I also like that tripod one. We always put ours on rocks but you would have to constantly dig out under the sifter. That u-shaped one would be a shaker sifter right Greg ???

Yep, I worked with them for about 5 years... went on a couple digs, and spent countless hours in the Science Center, cataloging & categorizing the artifacts for storage. It was a pre-runner to what produced into my passion for MDing & THing. :)

That makes sense about needing to dig out the sifted material from underneath the tripod setup, but at some point, you still have to do the same with the shake boxes... the material is just spread in a longer strip than a dropped pile. Yes, the U-legged one is a shaker sifter.

Bran <><

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
Tn_Mtns, ya man i love that shaker. im gonna make 1 myself. been thinking about a tripod sifter too. all made from 3/4 emt would do good i think
im thinking about making the sifter itself from 3/4 emt with 1/4 " hardware cloth. not had much time to work on it though.
when i do ill take some pics and show it
thx for the info.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
TnMountains said:
i guess any screen would be a shaker sifter if sifting dirt,and if you dont have water?i have only used the tripod method and it works great.but add the u shaped handle to the screen and it would become much easier when using a tripod .maybe we should make a collapsable table sifter that is mechanically ran and vibrates to do the sifting for us.then all we got to do is shovel stuff in and pick relics out. :headbang:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt an area way back in the mountains. There were many shelters that had never been dug.Sometimes artifacts were just lying on top of rocks like they were left there yesterday. We would hike and climb and lower our gear down off the bluffs and sift all day. We did not go back for two years and when we did every one of them had been washed out.
Some guys ran a gas operated water pump into them and hosed them out. There was dirt and mud on the ceilings. We were crushed. I met the guy that confessed to it a few years later while having a conversation. He said they hauled out truck loads.
I have learned that even to have permission does not mean another may beat you to it.

Think I might make a tripod sifter and give it a go. Looks less laborious :thumbsup:
Bran be cool if you had taken any pics back then : )
Happy New Year everyone.
TnMountains

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I wish I had photos from back then too... not that I really want to see myself as a teenager again. lol
But I made some great memories, that eventually led me to historical research & treasure hunting. :)
I couldn't be happier...

Bran <><

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a genetic gene that clicks on that says hunt and gather(this treasure hunting business). I knew a girl once who collected shoes. You would think a pair of shoes were a fluted clovis the way her eyes lit up. I learned not to say a thing because I always wanted a fluted clovis myself :laughing7:
Happy New Year !

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, for sure... my girlfriend is the same way! lol
I've also gotten into survival tactics as well. I guess I just can never learn too much or have too many hobbies... :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother taught that in the Marines. He says it comes in handy here in the mountains with me. Its a good tactic to have in your back pocket wherever you may be. I find Olympic Fencing keeps me very alert as its tactics call upon very quick survival instincts.
Here is a club that I founded.
:censored:
Ever have a chance to visit a club you will never regret it.

TnMountains

Last edited:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure! The knowledge and ability to use what you know can always benefit you under the right circumstances...
And that fencing site looks pretty cool! I always thought it was a neat sport. :)

Bran <><

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
I put this sifter together for just a hair under $10. Works pretty good....but would rather it be on a tri pod!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,562
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 749
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 675
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildcatman71 said:
I put this sifter together for just a hair under $10. Works pretty good....but would rather it be on a tri pod!

Npw that cool seeing a picture. Did you already have it or get the idea from here? Greg do you have a tri pod showing how the top three poles fasten together? I have a bucket sifter for water I need to show.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
I actually had the boards cut and put together and my plan first. It does a good job....but it will wear you out in a few hours. The tripod would be great. My screen is almost 24" X 24". The screen is 1/4" squares.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks good Wildcat ! !
I put up this link after looking at the shape of mine. Mine are in terrible shape from many years of use and neglect. The neat one you never see and that I use a lot is the bucket sifter I made.(my big invention) You sit it in water and fill it up and shake it up and down in the water to sift. It has lasted a long time. I used metal tie wire and drilled holes in the bucket all the way around and tied in my screen. It works good to carry things as well or when you are carrying all the other buckets you need to fill up and move dirt to your sifters.
Hopefully I will have time this winter to replace all of mine with all these good ideas.
Your looks really good and ready :thumbsup:

Sorry for the pictures they were out back and covered with frozen leafs.(Neglect)

Falling apart sifters from days gone by
100_2524.JPG

Bucket sifter for water ways.
100_2525.JPG
100_2526.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread