larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend that lives up north quite a ways where the knife river meets the missouri river
this had mandan. arikara, and hidatsa tribes in the area
he found this pipe about 60 years ago when he went to check the cows
it had rained heavy the night before
he found it on a cow path
i have seen it a while back and finally got a chance to hook up with him and take these images
larson1951

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,512
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,365
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Wow.......I guess I need to get some cows........catlinite cows. Super piece. Could that be pewter?

Chuck

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
it is lead rather than pewter
can any one out there estimate the value??

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cannonman17 said:
AMAZING piece! Very lucky to find something like this, even with the drill-through.. Nice!

Those extra holes are pretty common on ancient pipes, and I don't think entirely accidental. Think of it like a carburetor, they could cover/uncover it with a finger when they wanted a little more air in their mix.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
and all along I thought carburetors were invented in the 1960's
lars

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
IMO this thing would be priceless as a find! To me the hole looks like a rub through, but then again thinking back to my college days a "carburetor" was nice to have now and then! ;D ::) :tongue3:

Question though, would something like this be "carved" from a single source, or molded and then fired? Also, how did they do the inlays? I understand the carving out first, but to pour the molten lead into the pipe had to be this side of genius given the time period...

Grip

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks grip, it was carved from a single piece of pipestone or catlinite
I can't figure out how they got that lead to fit in they grooves they cut and then get it to stay put
I still wish I knew what this thing is worth
lars

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, thanks j brown
that is very interesting
thanks again,
lars

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Could be pewter. This one I posted last fall had pewter inlay.

Attachments

• DSC03551.JPG
    DSC03551.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • DSC03551.JPG
    DSC03551.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 938

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
larson1951 said:
thanks grip, it was carved from a single piece of pipestone or catlinite
I can't figure out how they got that lead to fit in they grooves they cut and then get it to stay put
I still wish I knew what this thing is worth
lars

Larson, if you get the chance to look that over again see if there is any residual flares in the molding. I am wondering if they did this in a mold or like soldering a pipe where he just poured the lead and rolled the pipe to get the form and tightness to it letting it build up. Actually the second thought sounds more along the lines of how they would "POSSIBLY" make the inlay. I have seen examples of catlinite pipes fetch several thousand. Nice inlaid examples but without the hole in the bottom(Although flawess in my book other collectors would consider that a flaw) have seen several thousand at auction. Just the style and type stone it was made of, is what sets the price. Usually Catlinite(like the one pictured) usually fetch the most. The other hardstones would also fetch a decent price if all there.
That hole at the bottom would not have served as a carborater as it would have pulled the embers into the smokers lungs from the sudden rush of air. They had no screens..........lol........That hole tells a story though. Think about it," They were smoking, the Indian sets the pipe down, it hits a rock, and then the hole. I'm thinking it possibly could have happened later in life though and by something else. Outstanding piece your friend found. I would be going to his farm regularly.............................GTP :icon_thumright:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking Pipe Steve. Have you shown that before? I have seen that Pipe before somewhere. I have a guy from Wisconsin whi is going to send me some Catlinite and I can't wait to get it. I doubt I make a Pipe from it since I don't smoke. I'll probably try to do some more animals out of it.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
yes thanks,
i posted this in april
a friend in stanton found it

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
I was perusing one of my elite society type magazines the other day. A publication that was not a place where you would expect to find Native American items. Only things for "the spoiled". Anyhow I came across this offer among "nifty and unique gifts for the collector who has everything" and remembered a post by Larson and the Mandan Pipe.
I thought that these two are incredibly similar.

Can you picture an Indian dipping their feather quill into this inkwell and making an entry into their journal? Anyhow, I say that in jest.
I hope it sheds light on the topic.

Description: "Catlinite inkwell with lead inlays, Northern Plains 19th century 3 1/4" x 1 7/8"
$350...

And, by the way, I checked up on it and it has sold.

Mark
www.markdance.com

Attachments

• image-117.jpg
    image-117.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 432

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread