Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never heard of any, but with the whole area covered with glaciers in the not too distant past never say never. I have heard of some in Eastern CT, and just over the boarder in Wrentham MA there was a gold mine in the 1890's.

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So their could be gold their

Here is an article on the Internet that should be of interest to you
State Treasures - Rhode Island | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine

Follow some of the links and there is more information

So I guess the answer is Yes, but accessibility is always something you have to take into account. The Durfee Mine appears to be in a Neighborhood now, if you
check on Google Earth

Diamond Hill is a State Park across the border from the Sheldonville section of Wrentham that another respondent pointed out.

Good Luck

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sheldonville gold mine actually found and mined gold in the 1890's until the owner went bankrupt due to back taxes. It is now on a farm.

OP
OP
R

RichOrlandoGuy

Greenie
Dec 3, 2012
Orlando,FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the old gold mines are out of the equation, I'm trying to find out if the blackstone river has any gold in it

soxfan401

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not think that the Blackstone River would have much if any gold in RI. There are far too many dams and man made waterfalls for me to think it would be there. If my understanding of how gold flows downstream is correct that is. Maybe further upstream in the Uxbridge MA area might be a little better???

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
My great grandmother’s sister married a man named George Lyon who had a nice vein of gold in quartz protruding from bedrock on his farm in Foster, RI. It happens there were a number of such small outcroppings in that area. Some went so far as to build small stamp mills to process the free milling gold. So all gold in RI is not necessarily glacial in origin and originating from away.

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My great grandmother’s sister married a man named George Lyon who had a nice vein of gold in quartz protruding from bedrock on his farm in Foster, RI. It happens there were a number of such small outcroppings in that area. Some went so far as to build small stamp mills to process the free milling gold. So all gold in RI is not necessarily glacial in origin and originating from away.

Hi placertogo, I've heard you mention this in the past, and it piques my interest for sure. Can you provide any insight as to what section of Foster I may begin searching? My season is far from being done and I graduate Monday so will have a bit of time now yippee!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread