oilfield drill bits

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen rorary drill bits laying around, but havn;t figured out why. They are usually rebuilt since the larger ones cost thousands of dollars.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they will take it! just don't throw it in with the other stuff. Bring it in and let them decide what they want to pay you. Depending on the type of metal, it could be considerably more.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Thanks for the replies, I work out in the oil filed and find these laying all over the place, and even some of the small ones weigh 15 to 20 pounds a peice. a guy here in town i know, he took in a car a couple years ago and had tossed a couple of them inthere, broke down the equipment and i guess when they went in there to look they found one of them jaming something up, they told him not to come back.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
I have sold a number of the ones that I find that are still in good shape, and I have averaged around 50 to 60 dollars a peice on them, but you find ones that are bad a hundred to one. Went down to the scrap yard today and asked about them, they said they would take them, but they have to be sorted from the rest and their not sure what kind of steel they r made from so they will take them for the same price as regular steel.

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
I work at a manufacturing plant who produces the bits so I know a few things about them.
On the three cone rock bits they start out as forged steel then heat treated to make It very hard.

If you see little buttons on the "cones" those are tungsten carbine. But you will spend more on the process of getting those out than they are worth.

All of them will have hard facing of tungsten carbine placed in strategic locations. No way to get that off either.

I can answer any thing you want to know about them.( as long as it's not against work rules)
I have worked there 21 years and my dad has for 43 years. It's one of the largest and oldest and best drill bit manufactures in the world.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Most of the ones I get have the three cones, and have triangular teeth on them, they are Varel brand I believe. I know some of the ones the company I work for sells, they adverage about 900 to 1200 dollars depending on the size, bigger ones are more, and the smaller the more they cost as well. Have seen some with the buttons on them, but don't come across them to often. I'm sure nobody pays anymore than steel price for forged steel, I'll just keep selling the good ones on ebay, Ive done pretty good on there. If I have anymore questions about them I will be sure to ask, thanks for all the help.

setupman

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my company buys scrap drill bits and tungsten carbide

junkyarddog

Greenie
Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
high carbon steel buyers good $$$$$$$ more than any SCRAPYARD

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if scrap yards take these drill bits they are made from a very hard steel. I have heard of people throwibg them in with other scrap and tearing equipment up with them

I can't remember if this is the forum, but I read on one that some scrap yards are checking the bits for radioactivity levels. If it's too high, they won't touch them as they would have to be classified for disposal in a specific toxic waste disposal.....

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember if this is the forum, but I read on one that some scrap yards are checking the bits for radioactivity levels. If it's too high, they won't touch them as they would have to be classified for disposal in a specific toxic waste disposal.....

I am a Driller in the oilfield and as far as I know bits cannot be radioactive. There are logging tools that we sometimes use that due have radioactive materials in them but they are incased very well. The guys that work with them always have us leave the floor but at the same time they don't wear any kind of protection. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also heard of water well companies that buy some of the oilfields used bits. What we consider junk for our drilling can usually still easily drill 300 feet down for water. I do not know this for a fact though. The coolest thing I have seen was a guy that made a tail hitch cover out of one.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting. There was a flap a while back about making us get geiger counters to check drilling equipment for radioactivity before servicing it, the theory being that there is a fairly high level of radioactivity in most bedrock, and they were afraid that the constant circulation of drilling mud through the drill pipe and the BOP's (and the bit too, I guess) would cause them to become radioactive as well.
We checked a bunch of gear and didn't find much of a problem, and it kind of went away again. ;)

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Usually at my job on a pulling unit tubing that has been in the hole long time has a small amount of radiation, but the mud anchor and seating nipple that is at the bottom is what you really have to worry about, has seen the Geiger counter peg out on some of that stuff

hangseanshi

May 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are these bits?

Usually at my job on a pulling unit tubing that has been in the hole long time has a small amount of radiation, but the mud anchor and seating nipple that is at the bottom is what you really have to worry about, has seen the Geiger counter peg out on some of that stuff
Can someone tell me where to find these scrap bits? Any picture of them? I would love to pick them up from your place and pay the top $$$.
This is REAL!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread