Any Idea of the era or what type of ship this anchor is from?

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

Attachments

• anchor comp 1.jpg
    anchor comp 1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 592
  • anchor comp 1.jpg
    anchor comp 1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 583
  • anchor comp 2.jpg
    anchor comp 2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 581

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about mid-1800's, from a coastal trading sailing vessel. If that was a primary anchor the boat likely wasn't that large.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would have to agree with ScubaDude. This type anchor could have been used as far back as the mid 1800's. But also as recently as the early/mid 1900's. This style anchor didn't change very much through this period.

I have a book showing different anchors from the period and will try to post some picts later.

Right now I am gearing up and heading out to do some diving!

Robert

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, I've got to disagree with you on the mid 1900's. Around the end of the 1800's is when stockless anchors or head stocked anchors took the lead. They held better, were less prone to fouling, and winched up into a hawse pipe without the stock or crossbar getting in the way.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly it looks like most of the other anchors recovered locally from civil war era boats.

The Navy stockless was pretty much standard after 1900 ish, example is from the mighty Missouri.

I don't mean to imply that there are hard and fast rules, people used what was available and didn't purchase new ground tackle just to stay with the latest trend.

I'm aware of cannons being marked; other than a broad arrow or something, I wasn't aware of anchors having inscriptions. I'd like to learn more.

Attachments

• mo_anchor.jpg
    mo_anchor.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 496

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Brad, you are correct in the fact that Navy vessels went to what we consider now to be the standard Navy Anchor, but other vessels could have still used this style anchor. Maybe not post 1950, but certainly up to around this time.

My guess is late 1800's to early 1900's.

Robert

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Thanks everybody for your postings, this anchor was found off of the big bend (Florida) area by a shrimp boat, along what was pulled up was a heavy front mounting piece described as an angel looking statue made of Gold, it was so heavy it tore through the shrimp nets and fell back to the bottom. The captain dragged for a long period of time to recover it but was unsuccefful. This anchor was attatched to a chain and was impossible to pull up until they knocked out the pin to release the chain. Years ago this anchor had numbers on it but with the rusting and moving the anchor around I understand they flaked off or chipped off?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That anchor is in the parking lot of Charlies Seafood Restaurant in Crystal River. It is from the Civil War blockade runner "Abbey Bee." I know the shrimper that pulled it up. The Abbey Bee had 2 tons of gold bars on board to purchase war supplies in Cuba for the Confederacy.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
You get a gold star, nice job!
Any idea what happened to the Gold?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Was this ship really named Abby Bee, or was it under a different name?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sabre, I sent you email with pictures.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
time frame design wize I say 1840 to 1900 era * the metal cross bar rather than wood -- means its not older they used wooden cross bars farther back in time --- it would easy fit in the civil war time frame. -- the vessel could have easily been sailing under a assumed name (fake) to throw off northern spys and confuse the union forces -- say the spy says the "so and so" is a smuggler -- once she got to sea-- she would repaint her hull name --if boarded at sea by blockade vessels shes now the "junebug"-- not the "so and so" her cover name in port.

scotth

Jan 10, 2009
Hello every one, this anchor was pulled up by my father. He had told me every thing about the finding of this.
He died in 1994 and it's been my life long dream to find the ship with every thing that's on it. any info would be great.
I know where he found it. he gave me every thing he knew

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Sounds like a good solid shipwreck story.Im sure someone will help you find it soon. I think fisheye maybe close to that area . I hope you find it .........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread