North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***1864 "L" Indian Head ***DOUBLE DIE*** My oldest & rarest coin yet

O.K. Folks, I'm having a serious silver slump here in good old NC. Last weeks mid-1800's house looked like a dream, but not one silver coin. Not even a Rosie. :-\
Today I started another house down the road a bit. This one was built in 1843, sits in a wealthy area, and was built by a doctor.
Right off the bat I dug two IH's. One was an 1880, and the other an 1864 (semi key date & my oldest so far).
Again, NO SILVER!!! :'( If these old IH's were still there, I would think the property has never been detected. :icon_scratch:
The dark black soil is soft as butter and you can literally push your digger a foot deep in areas with no problem.
I dug lots of rusty iron, nails, pull tabs, clad quarters, dimes, and nickels.
I was started having second thoughts about my machine, but if I'm digging deep clad and other relics, so I would think if there was silver to be had I would find it.
If my Tesoro found a tiny half dime in a field, then certainly it should be able to find silver in a yard. :dontknow:
My only thoughts are: (1) the silver is too deep, or (2) the cold temps are not allowing the machine to operate properly. ???
WHAT DO YOU FOLKS THINK??? Any input?
After watching Captn Dan constantly dig up deep silver I'm starting to wonder if I should get me a Minelab SE. :icon_scratch:
This was my first attempt and I still have lots to cover, so we'll see what happens. It's not easy getting permission to detect these old houses, and maybe I get my hopes up too high with visions of sugar plums silver dancing in my head. ;D :wink:
Now that I got my crying done, here's my finds:

*1864 and 1880 IH's.

*Wheats- 1912, 30 , 35 (x2) , 40, 51, 52.

*Railroad nail/spike with a large "G" and "36" on the head. Is that 1936?

*Tootsietoy Jeep & Hotwheels "Sand Drifter" (1974)

*Tiny cast metal toys- Tophat , plane, train.

*Asst'd lantern parts, pocket knife, keys, etc.

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-313S.JPG
    MVC-313S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,176
  • MVC-314S.JPG
    MVC-314S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,160
  • MVC-315S.JPG
    MVC-315S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,160
  • MVC-316S.JPG
    MVC-316S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,155
  • MVC-319S.JPG
    MVC-319S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,223
  • MVC-318S.JPG
    MVC-318S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 2,136
  • MVC-317S.JPG
    MVC-317S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,125
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: Who sucked up all the silver in the Raleigh area??? 1864 IH - my oldest!!!

No problem MM,

Your doing a great job out there man. It all boils down to location. Untouched locations are getting really tough to come by. It's not so much the unit. I could do well with a low end unit. I prefer the top of the lines though. They make it easier to find treasure with a better response.

Yes, seeing all of Captn's silver makes you wanna run out and get a minelab. Well me to. But 1500 doesn't grow on tree's. The Dfx is just as good as a unit. Captn, just has some great locations. I'm taking more time this yr to read old maps and try and get to some untouched foundations lost in the woods. Now I need a gps.

Keep up the good work. Relic hunting is what it is all about anymore.

HH Jer

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IT WAS ME, back in the day! Just kidding. I am still kicking myself for not hitting the old Morrisville Rd house while I had the chance!! Good stuff MM, Bryan in Goldsboro

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang it all! I completely forgot to give DD that beautiful dress to bring to you!! It has these wonderful silver sequins alll over! ;D :-*

Was great to chat with you! :icon_sunny: And those finds are super, MM! :icon_king:

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerDfx said:
No problem MM,

Your doing a great job out there man. It all boils down to location. Untouched locations are getting really tough to come by. It's not so much the unit. I could do well with a low end unit. I prefer the top of the lines though. They make it easier to find treasure with a better response.

Yes, seeing all of Captn's silver makes you wanna run out and get a minelab. Well me to. But 1500 doesn't grow on tree's. The Dfx is just as good as a unit. Captn, just has some great locations. I'm taking more time this yr to read old maps and try and get to some untouched foundations lost in the woods. Now I need a gps.
Keep up the good work. Relic hunting is what it is all about anymore.

HH Jer

Thanks Jer.
Yeah, I guess $1500 could buy a LOT of silver coins instead. ;D :wink: I'll keep plugging along with my Mighty Tesoro.
You guys & gals have been a big help keeping me from getting discouraged. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Muddy Waters in NC said:
IT WAS ME, back in the day! Just kidding. I am still kicking myself for not hitting the old Morrisville Rd house while I had the chance!! Good stuff MM, Bryan in Goldsboro

Bryan,
Now you know how I feel. I got the CW belt plate & relics from the Morrisville house, but someone around here got my silver. ;D
There has to be a few virgin sites left. It's like those stories you here of finding a vintage low mile Mopar musclecar sitting in some grandmas garage. ;D
-MM-

Nana40 said:
Dang it all! I completely forgot to give DD that beautiful dress to bring to you!! It has these wonderful silver sequins alll over! ;D :-*

Was great to chat with you! :icon_sunny: And those finds are super, MM! :icon_king:
Nana :wink:

Oh, I see how you are now girl. You get me all excited by waving a beautiful glittery dress in front of me that surely would show my luscious curves off oh so well, and then you pull the rug out. :'( :icon_queen: Darn it is right. I had some new ruby red pumps picked out already at Wal-Mart that would have looked great with that dress. ;D :wink:
It was great finally talking to you Nana. I told Andy you sounded like you were in your 20's. :thumbsup:
Sorry I couldn't attend that hunt. Andy said you guys had a lot of fun and he met some wonderful people. Except for that crazy Burdie character. :tongue3: ;D
I'm hoping to meet you and the rest of the clan at a future hunt. :occasion14:
-Doug a licious-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahhh, yes. I remember twenty. :P :D Get back out there and find that silver! :icon_pirat:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

I know how yoy feel MM.I've only found 2 silver coins in my year and a half detecting.I think to all the silver from my places years ago.Nice bunch of finds you made otherwise.congrats on your oldest IH. HB

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Mr. Whiner, whoops, I mean Miner. ;D ;D Sorry, Doug, I just had to.

Don't worry about those silver coins. I know you'd love to find them, but you're hunting areas that are more relic'y. You have to think about the places I detect. All city parks. Millions of people have been visiting some of these parks before the turn of the century. It's hard to even imagine how many coins were dropped in these parks over a given year, much less over the past 100 years. The places you hunt and the places I hunt are as different as apples and oranges.

If you're living where I do and hunt the local parks like I do, the Explorer will get the job done at finding deep targets next to trash like no other machine. But that is in my locale. Will you start pulling lots of silver coins out of your areas with an Explorer? Of course not. Would you be able to find a few deep silver targets next to trash items that you overlooked with your current machine? Yes, but if you're in an area with lots of relics, you would be digging more targets, rather than passing them up like I do at a park. I cherry pick my signals in my turf areas....it's a must for finding more deepies/oldies at the end of the day. If I was hunting around old houses or out in the woods, I'd be cherry picking much less and digging many different conductive targets.

You've got to be more of a relic hunter than a coin hunter at your sites. Yes, the occasional silver coin will pop up from time to time at your sites, but the key word here is "occasional". The relics that you find in your neck of the woods are the true treasures. :thumbsup: And you certainly don't need a virgin location to find silver. None of my parks are "virgin" parks. Actually, they're probably the most hunted parks on the West Coast. So to keep finding the treasures in these parks, you have to have the right machine, and the time/patience to keep finding them.

Hey, I know a lot of guys who find those '64 Injuns and think they are semi-key, but that's only true with the '64 Fattys(copper/nickel). The '64 bronze Injuns have a high mintage (approx. 40 million). Still a great find, and being your oldest, even better. :thumbsup: I've never found a '60's Injun before, but then again, I probably won't because of the areas I detect. I have to accept that. :'(

Congrats on your finds, Buddy!! I know you're just letting out a little friendly steam on the forum. You're a humorous guy, and you always make me laugh to hear of your trials and tribulations and shortcomings of finding silver coins. ;D ;D :tongue3: ::)

Keep the posts coming, silver or no silver!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Mr. Whiner, whoops, I mean Miner. ;D ;D Sorry, Doug, I just had to.

Don't worry about those silver coins. I know you'd love to find them, but you're hunting areas that are more relic'y. You have to think about the places I detect. All city parks. Millions of people have been visiting some of these parks before the turn of the century. It's hard to even imagine how many coins were dropped in these parks over a given year, much less over the past 100 years. The places you hunt and the places I hunt are as different as apples and oranges.

If you're living where I do and hunt the local parks like I do, the Explorer will get the job done at finding deep targets next to trash like no other machine. But that is in my locale. Will you start pulling lots of silver coins out of your areas with an Explorer? Of course not. Would you be able to find a few deep silver targets next to trash items that you overlooked with your current machine? Yes, but if you're in an area with lots of relics, you would be digging more targets, rather than passing them up like I do at a park. I cherry pick my signals in my turf areas....it's a must for finding more deepies/oldies at the end of the day. If I was hunting around old houses or out in the woods, I'd be cherry picking much less and digging many different conductive targets.

You've got to be more of a relic hunter than a coin hunter at your sites. Yes, the occasional silver coin will pop up from time to time at your sites, but the key word here is "occasional". The relics that you find in your neck of the woods are the true treasures. :thumbsup: And you certainly don't need a virgin location to find silver. None of my parks are "virgin" parks. Actually, they're probably the most hunted parks on the West Coast. So to keep finding the treasures in these parks, you have to have the right machine, and the time/patience to keep finding them.

Hey, I know a lot of guys who find those '64 Injuns and think they are semi-key, but that's only true with the '64 Fattys(copper/nickel). The '64 bronze Injuns have a high mintage (approx. 40 million). Still a great find, and being your oldest, even better. :thumbsup: I've never found a '60's Injun before, but then again, I probably won't because of the areas I detect. I have to accept that. :'(

Congrats on your finds, Buddy!! I know you're just letting out a little friendly steam on the forum. You're a humorous guy, and you always make me laugh to hear of your trials and tribulations and shortcomings of finding silver coins. ;D ;D :tongue3: ::)

Keep the posts coming, silver or no silver!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan. It would have taken me a day to type that response, since I'm a one fingered pecker. ;D
First off, let's get this straight. It's Modern MINER, not Whiner. Don't listen to those DD-777 or NCJOE characters. I haven't told them yet that I seeded those Colonial coins they found. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for the parks -vs- old properties silver input. You are right, and I was also thinking about what Buckles mentioned above about the houses in town -vs- farms. I was thinking about the silver coins I've found in the past, and most came from the farm & plantation properties instead of in town properties. I'm sure the 1970's silver suckers didn't hit these farm & woods spots as much. Makes sense now.

As far as my 64' not being a semi key date, you are right again. I was looking at the 64' with the "L" value by mistake when I looked at the price in the Redbook. Oh well, it's still a CW coin & I'm a "fatty". ;D :wink:
Thanks Dan and keep posting those vids. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Maverick29

Oct 26, 2008

nice finds doug. sweet IH's would love to find one of those. see ya around these parts some day.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Well...actually Doug you might have something there. From the looks of the coin, I am leaning towards it being an 1864 L IH. The "L" is very hard to see once the coin starts to change colors and gets any where on it. But, looking at the relation between where the bust ends, the pointedness and most important the angle it is at in relation to the "1" in the date, it's looking to match that of the "L" initialled coin. DO NOT CLEAN IT. Either take it to a trusted coin dealer, or if they still have the monthly coin show at the fairgrounds, take it there, and have it checked. Otherwise next time we hunt together, be sure to bring it and I will look at it closer for you.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have family in the Raleigh area you should take me on a 3 ringer hunt ;D if you come here I'll take you on a silver hunt....

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I have family in the Raleigh area you should take me on a 3 ringer hunt ;D if you come here I'll take you on a silver hunt....

Keep @ it and HH!!

Deal MUDS. :thumbsup:
Just don't make it in the middle of summer. The woods is not a good thing here in NC during the summer. I'd rather be worked on by a drunk dentist than go into the NC woods in the summer. :tongue3:
-MM-

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MM, I sent you an email to the address in your profile. Did you get it.

Regards,
Mac

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

ModernMiner said:
I'd rather be worked on by a drunk dentist than go into the NC woods in the summer. :tongue3:

For what it's worth, I'd rather do either one of those than try to caulk the bathtub! ;D

Hey Doug, great hunt!! Congrats on all the nice finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Either the Indians or the toys would make a special hunt for me, but you got both and some other cool relics all on the same hunt. Nice.

I typed a long reply about the desire for an SE and the merits of giving in to it, but something happened when I tried to upload it and I lost it all... :(

Sounds like you have everything under control. ;D
HH
Neil

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*** 1864 "L" IH with double die stamping ???*** Calling all coin experts!!!

O.K. folks, I'm pretty excited now! Some of you may recall the 1864 IH I put on my last post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,214762.0.html

With some help of a few members and the info they offered, I think I may have the most valuable coin I've dug so far.
I wanted to thank:
*DFX WILLY for being the first to tell me to even look for an "L" on the coin.

*MLW67 for posting a great picture of where the "L" is located on a 1864 IH.

*NCJOE for giving me the following info:
Well...actually Doug you might have something there. From the looks of the coin, I am leaning towards it being an 1864 L IH. The "L" is very hard to see once the coin starts to change colors and gets any where on it. But, looking at the relation between where the bust ends, the pointedness and most important the angle it is at in relation to the "1" in the date, it's looking to match that of the "L" initialled coin. DO NOT CLEAN IT.

With their help, I not only found out it is indeed an "L" lettered 1864 IH, but now I noticed what looks to be a double die stamping. :icon_scratch:

I need the help of some of you coin experts.
*Do I indeed have a double die coin or not?
*Rare?
*Any idea on the value?
The coin has a full readable "Liberty" headband, so I was thinking a grade of F-12 according to the book. I know there is less value for a dug coin though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know cleaning is a no-no, but how about just a Q-tip and water?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• 1864 - 1.JPG
    1864 - 1.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,883
  • 1864 - 2.JPG
    1864 - 2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,891
  • 1864 - 3.JPG
    1864 - 3.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,890
  • 1864 - 4.JPG
    1864 - 4.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,890
  • 1864 L price.JPG
    1864 L price.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,893
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: *** 1864 "L" IH with double die stamping ???*** Calling all coin experts!!!

plehbah said:
That sure looks double stamped to me.

The fabled 1864 L penny with a mint error.

That is amazing.

The Holy Grail of 1864's. ??? ;D
Thanks Plehbah.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

SUPER COIN. CONGRATS.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

I'm not an expert by any means. But I think you've got it! :icon_sunny:

KG6YLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread