What's new

Silvers from the park and new permission, V nickel and Indian head from the older park

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
2,057
Reaction score
12,108
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mountain Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went to the news permission I got at the yard sale. The house was built in the 1950s on the foundation of a school built in 1880. The property is not large. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and covered two thirds of the yard with few good targets.

Altogether I found 20 coins with a face value of $2.00, a key, 2 pieces of toys, a silver dime, a fire department button, a medal, a saw medallion, part of an umbrella, part of a watch, a brass fitting, aluminum construction scraps, aluminum grommets, aluminum bottle caps, pieces of copper wire and pipe, a small lead strip and one tab.

DSCN8999.webp


The medal is actually a radiator medallion from an Oldsmobile. From what I can find on line I believe it is from 1925-1927. Just my best guess from what I can find.

DSCN9001.webp


The saw medallion is a H. DISSTON & SONS. The company website show pictures of the different medallions and the years used. This one was used between 1896 and 1917.

DSCN9000.webp


The silver dime is a 1964 D in fair shape. It is the oldest coin from this yard so far. No wheaties or other old coins which is surprising. The owners have only lived here 10 years and it may have been detected before. The FD button is one I have seen several times before, from a fire department parade uniform. This one is missing the back.

DSCN8999.webp


DAY 2
I went to the park closest to my home. I was swingin the CZ21 for 5.5 hours, 1.5 hours covering the tot lot and getting a decent number of coins and some jewelry and charms. I spent the next 4 hours gridding part of a ballfield I have walked over many time, but never gridded. The targets on the field were few and far between so I covered a lot of area but I did get a couple of good finds.

In my 5.5 hours of detecting I found 47 coins with a face value of $4.31, key charms, a V nickel, an Indian head penny, a round ball, some jewelry, a toy truck, can slaw, a piece of a horseshoe, aluminum tie wire for fencing, six tabs and a pencil end.

DSCN9002.webp


I have found a lot of key charms in this park in the past. I had them pretty well cleaned up. This trip when I started finding them in areas I have covered thoroughly in the past, I realized these were on top of the new mulch so they are recent losses. Whoever lost them in the past must be at it again.

DSCN9003.webp


The jewelry is all junky stuff unfortunately. The ring has a ferrous band and a non ferrous mount so it gave a mixed signal. No surprise there.

The V nickel and the Indian head are the finds of the day. Both are badly oxidized and toasted. They gave poor signals that I would have passed up on a walkover as probable slaw or junk. I believe the poor signal is due to the poor condition of the coins. Luckily the date of the nickel is clear even though it is tough to tell that liberty is on there, 1891. The Indian head has a clear 88 and a decent space behind the digits. Also the position of the 88 in relation to the bust makes me think that it is an 1888.

DSCN9007.webp
DSCN9009.webp
IMG_1564.webp
DSCN9008.webp
DSCN9006.webp
IMG_1565.webp


DAY 3
I went to a state park I detect every year to cover the beach and swimming area. I covered all of the water and about half of the beach. The water here is very murky, deeper than 18 inches you can’t see the bottom or the coil so you scoop by feel so it can take longer for recoveries.

I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro and found 32 coins with a face value of $2.51, some jewelry, a zipper pull, a game tab, an aluminum ice bag tie, part of a fishing swivel, a brass disk, a fired .22 slug, 3 clothing grommets, 6 tabs, 11 sinkers and a little foil.

DSCN9010.webp


The game tab is a B from a Pepsi game.

DSCN9011.webp


The dolphin links are part of a bracelet. The rings fastening the links together are ferrous and mostly rusted away. They were all on the beach and scattered around when they groom the beach with a large rake pulled behind a small tractor. The tabs all came from the beach as well.

DSCN9012.webp


The tiny brass disk is actually the end of a .22 rimfire casing manufactured by the Union Manufacturing Company. No silver or gold this trip which is unusual. This park has produced silver and or gold every year for the past 18 years.

DSCN9013.webp


DAY 4
I did another state park covering all the small beach and all the swimming area I could. Part of the swimming area is too deep to cover. The water is partly murky and you can see down about 3 feet. I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro and found 8 coins with a face value of $0.67, some jewelry, 2 shoe grommets, a beaver tail tab tail, a selfie stick retainer, a .22 slug, 2 fishing lures, 2 chrome cord ends, 50 sinkers (this park usually produces plenty of sinkers), a toy car, a crab and a little foil.

DSCN9014.webp


The earring back is marked 925, the only confirmed silver. The box chain ring is a new one for me. I can’t find a mark on it but it feels heavy so it might be silver. I found a similar one on line that is silver. It might be silver, but I have my doubts.

DSCN9015.webp


There are 3 rings this trip. The box chain ring that might be silver, a copper heart ring and a nice looking tungsten carbide ring. The cross has a flag pattern embossed on the back and a nice message on the front. It is made of stainless steel. The 2 earrings on the lower right are a pair of seahorse earrings.

DSCN9016.webp
DSCN9017.webp


NON DETECTOR FINDS
When I got to the new permission I found 7 quarters on the street by my front tire after I parked. A nice start to the day.

IMG_1552.webp


I also found a mangled piece of jewelry in the parking lot. Not sure exactly what it is, it is costume jewelry with CZs.

DSCN9018.webp


A decent week. Thanks for looking, staying safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
 
Upvote 14
Nice diverse haul. Oldsmobile radiator badge is really cool! Several years ago I dug an old pontiac radiator badge in the water. Definitely don't find old radiator badges all that often! I have that exact saw medallion too. The modern skeleton keys are interesting too. A girl I dated worked retail making flower arrangements and gave me a antiqued bronze colored skeleton key replica one year. There was some 1800 flowers or whatever arrangement Several years ago that had a bunch of reproduction Skelton keys in it. Wonder if that's where they keys started out before ended up in the mulch.
 
DAY 1
I went to the news permission I got at the yard sale. The house was built in the 1950s on the foundation of a school built in 1880. The property is not large. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and covered two thirds of the yard with few good targets.

Altogether I found 20 coins with a face value of $2.00, a key, 2 pieces of toys, a silver dime, a fire department button, a medal, a saw medallion, part of an umbrella, part of a watch, a brass fitting, aluminum construction scraps, aluminum grommets, aluminum bottle caps, pieces of copper wire and pipe, a small lead strip and one tab.

View attachment 2264843

The medal is actually a radiator medallion from an Oldsmobile. From what I can find on line I believe it is from 1925-1927. Just my best guess from what I can find.

View attachment 2264846

The saw medallion is a H. DISSTON & SONS. The company website show pictures of the different medallions and the years used. This one was used between 1896 and 1917.

View attachment 2264845

The silver dime is a 1964 D in fair shape. It is the oldest coin from this yard so far. No wheaties or other old coins which is surprising. The owners have only lived here 10 years and it may have been detected before. The FD button is one I have seen several times before, from a fire department parade uniform. This one is missing the back.

View attachment 2264844

DAY 2
I went to the park closest to my home. I was swingin the CZ21 for 5.5 hours, 1.5 hours covering the tot lot and getting a decent number of coins and some jewelry and charms. I spent the next 4 hours gridding part of a ballfield I have walked over many time, but never gridded. The targets on the field were few and far between so I covered a lot of area but I did get a couple of good finds.

In my 5.5 hours of detecting I found 47 coins with a face value of $4.31, key charms, a V nickel, an Indian head penny, a round ball, some jewelry, a toy truck, can slaw, a piece of a horseshoe, aluminum tie wire for fencing, six tabs and a pencil end.

View attachment 2264849

I have found a lot of key charms in this park in the past. I had them pretty well cleaned up. This trip when I started finding them in areas I have covered thoroughly in the past, I realized these were on top of the new mulch so they are recent losses. Whoever lost them in the past must be at it again.

View attachment 2264850

The jewelry is all junky stuff unfortunately. The ring has a ferrous band and a non ferrous mount so it gave a mixed signal. No surprise there.

The V nickel and the Indian head are the finds of the day. Both are badly oxidized and toasted. They gave poor signals that I would have passed up on a walkover as probable slaw or junk. I believe the poor signal is due to the poor condition of the coins. Luckily the date of the nickel is clear even though it is tough to tell that liberty is on there, 1891. The Indian head has a clear 88 and a decent space behind the digits. Also the position of the 88 in relation to the bust makes me think that it is an 1888.

View attachment 2264851View attachment 2264853View attachment 2264847View attachment 2264852View attachment 2264842View attachment 2264848

DAY 3
I went to a state park I detect every year to cover the beach and swimming area. I covered all of the water and about half of the beach. The water here is very murky, deeper than 18 inches you can’t see the bottom or the coil so you scoop by feel so it can take longer for recoveries.

I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro and found 32 coins with a face value of $2.51, some jewelry, a zipper pull, a game tab, an aluminum ice bag tie, part of a fishing swivel, a brass disk, a fired .22 slug, 3 clothing grommets, 6 tabs, 11 sinkers and a little foil.

View attachment 2264854

The game tab is a B from a Pepsi game.

View attachment 2264855

The dolphin links are part of a bracelet. The rings fastening the links together are ferrous and mostly rusted away. They were all on the beach and scattered around when they groom the beach with a large rake pulled behind a small tractor. The tabs all came from the beach as well.

View attachment 2264856

The tiny brass disk is actually the end of a .22 rimfire casing manufactured by the Union Manufacturing Company. No silver or gold this trip which is unusual. This park has produced silver and or gold every year for the past 18 years.

View attachment 2264857

DAY 4
I did another state park covering all the small beach and all the swimming area I could. Part of the swimming area is too deep to cover. The water is partly murky and you can see down about 3 feet. I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro and found 8 coins with a face value of $0.67, some jewelry, 2 shoe grommets, a beaver tail tab tail, a selfie stick retainer, a .22 slug, 2 fishing lures, 2 chrome cord ends, 50 sinkers (this park usually produces plenty of sinkers), a toy car, a crab and a little foil.

View attachment 2264858

The earring back is marked 925, the only confirmed silver. The box chain ring is a new one for me. I can’t find a mark on it but it feels heavy so it might be silver. I found a similar one on line that is silver. It might be silver, but I have my doubts.

View attachment 2264859

There are 3 rings this trip. The box chain ring that might be silver, a copper heart ring and a nice looking tungsten carbide ring. The cross has a flag pattern embossed on the back and a nice message on the front. It is made of stainless steel. The 2 earrings on the lower right are a pair of seahorse earrings.

View attachment 2264860View attachment 2264861

NON DETECTOR FINDS
When I got to the new permission I found 7 quarters on the street by my front tire after I parked. A nice start to the day.

View attachment 2264863

I also found a mangled piece of jewelry in the parking lot. Not sure exactly what it is, it is costume jewelry with CZs.

View attachment 2264862

A decent week. Thanks for looking, staying safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom