1909 S VDB found today on an old torn out base ball field

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
i had a late start to today and went to the loal park that still to this day produces for me every time i hit it

well today i was working where they just torw out a Baseball field and dident find much but this was a nice hit for me

its a 1909 S VDB the s is warn thin and i had to look several times to make sure but the top of it is visable and nice

i have not decied if im going to clean or not but will post better picks when i get better scans tomarow. the odd par was there was a second 1916 D stuck to the top of it as you can see the curve in the top of it

any ideas on cleaning it with out damaging it

Attachments

• img048.jpg
    img048.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • img049.jpg
    img049.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 975
  • img047.jpg
    img047.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 998
Upvote 0

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats! Would have been pretty crazy if that 16-D was a merc :D

I don't know if I would clean it either. Call ANACS and ask for some advice..

HH, Mark

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holy grail of the wheat penny's. :notworthy: :notworthy: Congrats.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrads on your VDB S wheatie !! MaineRelic

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the one :notworthy: on everyone,s wish list maybe just a soft tooth brush lite brushing to knock off some lose dirt that is a tuff call .Great find :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go on the key date. :icon_thumright:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Oh man ! Got two 1909 VDB cents in one day a few weeks back, neither had the S on them, but I should take a closer look... Nah already did that.

Great find! Good luck on your decision with it!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I would probably get it slabbed. That S is pretty hard to make out but might be easier to see in person. If you send it out they can lay all questions to rest.

I'd love to pull something like that out of the ground. I get envious every time I see a post for a key date coin. I have a few holes which need filling! Congrats to you! :icon_thumright:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I'd take that any day of the week. Congrats! jgas

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
You sure that's a mint mark? I hope it is, but looks like the "s" is supposed to be under the "0" in 1909 and the mark I see on yours is to the left of that. Also, why would the bottom of the "s" be worn but not other numbers or letters? I hope it is though and will vote banner if so.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TejasDigger said:
You sure that's a mint mark? I hope it is, but looks like the "s" is supposed to be under the "0" in 1909 and the mark I see on yours is to the left of that. Also, why would the bottom of the "s" be worn but not other numbers or letters? I hope it is though and will vote banner if so.

I did a little checking on the mint mark, it seems that the "S" was not necessarilly fixed at one position. So there are different prices on an individual basis. There is one type that has the "S" on the "Horizon", whatever that is. :laughing7: (No picture was shown.)

Incidently, congratulations on a great find. Something I heard of when I was in my teens and have kept an eye open for ever since, with no luck yet. :laughing7:

Eagle

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredibly exciting find. Because of its condition, I'm not fully convinced that the coin is a 1909s VDB. I sure hope it is! Good luck with the authentification, and please be careful not to clean off that "s". My gosh, only 484,00 of these babies were minted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread