i found a 1783 george III coutnerfit copper coin hibernia x2

joeydknecht

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all im new to this site, but been researching on a find that i got metal detecting outside my house here in ireland, my first find the other day was a george the III copper coin no date visable but i cold make out the crown of the harp and the GIVS on the head side as well as the III.......the other coin i found today has the date visable 1783 on either side bottom of the harp....and GEORGIV visable along with III to the fornt of the face,,face not really visable except for the ribbon at the back bottom neck......think i read in a forum on here that there was only 1 of 3 known of such coins? i could be mistaken....if anyone has any info on what i have found please contact me i will see if i can post the pics up..... 013.JPG 006.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Hibernia is likely counterfeit, but the 1783 you are referring to is an American made coin that looks more like a British Halfpenny and not an Irish one, like you have. Your 2nd coin dates either 1766 or 1769.

OP
OP
J

joeydknecht

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here in ireland, and from what i just read to what you wrote, you are saying the 1783 was made in USA? I live in the middle of Ireland find it hard to believe this was counterfitted in USA. yes both are irish hibernians......but why would they counterfit this in the usa?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here in ireland, and from what i just read to what you wrote, you are saying the 1783 was made in USA? I live in the middle of Ireland find it hard to believe this was counterfitted in USA. yes both are irish hibernians......but why would they counterfit this in the usa?

What I'm saying is the rare dated 1783 that you might have read about is an American made coin that looks like a British halfpenny. If that's not correct, and what you read said a 1783 Hibernia is rare, then that info. was very wrong. There's lots of 1783 Hibernia halfpennies.

OP
OP
J

joeydknecht

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron patch sorry i think i read you post wrong lol........ thought you said the ones i have are american made.... nope they are irish ones.....just want to find out more about these .....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron patch sorry i think i read you post wrong lol........ thought you said the ones i have are american made.... nope they are irish ones.....just want to find out more about these .....

No, I definitely didn't read it wrong, and only reason I brought up the American coin is because you said this.... "think i read in a forum on here that there was only 1 of 3 known of such coins?"

The 1783 American one does only have a few known, and one was posted on this site, so it's got to be the one you've read about before. Regardless you have two Hibernia halfpennies which are always great to find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig those buttons signals too! Lots of those to find as well.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1783 counterfeit is in my banner finds. You can click on it to see. Have a pic but it's on DVD. Hogge

OP
OP
J

joeydknecht

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi hogge, ya i took a look at yours... didnt know in the states they copied the 1783.... my counterfeit is the irish one with hibernia harp on the back ...... hard to find photos of a decent counterfeit G3rd,,,,, im told mine is junk but i like it cause of the historical background of it.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread