Status
Not open for further replies.

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me start by saying it was disparaging to see the number of rude comments: some claiming that our dig was a sham, some even going as far as claiming we planted the chest in the ground, and that our "cheap" detector could have never found that chest... that is not portraying a great hobby in a proper manner.

Well we are about to bury those ignorant thoughts, and show you the dig up close and personal.

Here is the video:

Here is the lid of the Chest... An attempt to remove the wood was made, though all that remained was Oak "mulch" mixed with clay.
Several Square nails were removed from the 'wooded' areas of the chest, in there original place. As well as, a D Ring that tied down the chest during transport. Another large Iron piece of the chest, possibly a handle, was recovered. The chest was unlocked though the face of a lock plate is present under the lip, no lock was recovered. The Chest lid is made of Cast Iron and is approximately 80 Pounds, and is exactly 24 inch X 24 inch. A lip is present on the lid to seal it flush against the former wood work.

DSC00058.JPG DSC00059.JPG DSC00060.JPG DSC00061.JPG IMG_0324.jpg

Post Cleaning...
IMG_4685.JPG IMG_4687.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4694.JPG

In the end, We found a buried Civil War era Strong Box... the story alone is worth a million...

Well, Iv'e got a Plane to Catch!
swiss 2.jpg

Here is the Official Plantation Dig Thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/366228-official-louisiana-plantation-dig.html

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some G-d Forsaken area that is !!! Great adventure !!! THANKS

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice video! Did you recover enough nails to do a virtual reconstruction of the box? I would assume that each corner of the box would be constructed in an identical fashion. If not there may be more hardware in the hole. Did you happen to get the clasp where the lock would have gone. You may want to dig down another 2 - 3 feet and around the perimeter of your hole another couple of feet too. Any pieces of wood recovered or did it all fall apart? Was there a defined wooden bottom to the box? I'm sure there's lots more to be found on that property!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cool find just the same , would have got my heart racing , unfortunately no treasure better luck next time for a Golden find .. cheers Mick

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
KONO - a very cool find...no matter what, thanks for sharing.. don't let these negative folks stop you.....there are some considerate folks around still that enjoy others good luck! Thanks for the video and photographs. What a cool find and story. That folks, is the way to display a find!

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some G-d Forsaken area that is !!! Great adventure !!! THANKS

After Hurricanes Katrina and Issac in the past 8 years, the place looks like an alien landscape... you can't even begin to imagine the marsh grass covering whole areas of forest, the dead and fallen trees, dead animals washed up in trees after hurricanes, and that's only part of it...it is pretty nasty, I always joke that products should do durability/torture test there.

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video! Did you recover enough nails to do a virtual reconstruction of the box? I would assume that each corner of the box would be constructed in an identical fashion. If not there may be more hardware in the hole. Did you happen to get the clasp where the lock would have gone. You may want to dig down another 2 - 3 feet and around the perimeter of your hole another couple of feet too. Any pieces of wood recovered or did it all fall apart? Was there a defined wooden bottom to the box? I'm sure there's lots more to be found on that property!

Good question, i'll get back to you

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Hurricanes Katrina and Issac in the past 8 years, the place looks like an alien landscape... you can't even begin to imagine the marsh grass covering whole areas of forest, the dead and fallen trees, dead animals washed up in trees after hurricanes, and that's only part of it...it is pretty nasty, I always joke that products should do durability/torture test there.
Makes me thankful for the North Georgia Mts and flat farm land

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KONO! Great Hunt and Greater Adventure!! Sorry you guys did not strike it rich, but it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it worthwhile and gets all of us off the couch to seek the Rainbow!! Congrats on your story!! If you ever get up to the Baton Rouge area drop me a note!! I would be proud to hunt with you any time!! VERDE!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still did good...I enjoyed it, been looking at your other finds...awesome. Being in South LA myself, I was watching for any movements at the beginning of the video...I was looking for snakes. Awaiting for your next finds to be posted. Best of luck & happy hunting.

Turbo504

Jul 18, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garret 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A detailed and honest presentation. Keep us posted on your next finds at the old plantation.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hat is off to you KONO! You came through with the follow up just like you said you would. Unfortunately, this day there was no treasure, perhaps another time.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find! I bet your heart was pumping pretty fast when you unearthed it. You should read what people say on here like junk mail and throw away the trash.

"Arrogance is a weed found ever growing on a dung hill" Albert Pike

Good Luck in the future.......now go find one with the gold in it!!! L.C. Baker

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! I bet your heart was pumping pretty fast when you unearthed it. You should read what people say on here like junk mail and throw away the trash.

"Arrogance is a weed found ever growing on a dung hill" Albert Pike

Good Luck in the future.......now go find one with the gold in it!!! L.C. Baker

Once I get back from Geneva, dropping off a "package"... I'll come back and dig up the other one... 8-)

Thanks, KONO

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still did good...I enjoyed it, been looking at your other finds...awesome. Being in South LA myself, I was watching for any movements at the beginning of the video...I was looking for snakes. Awaiting for your next finds to be posted. Best of luck & happy hunting.

There are always a lot water moccasins, but they are mostly in the marsh part of the property. We were in what I call "Coyote territory."

Thanks, KONO

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update. As you say some people were not only rude but broke Tnet Policy. I tried to explain why you were likely to get that response, but in a way it was worst than I expected. To me you had enough evidence & explaination for a half brain to gather anough info that it was not a scam. Oh well, it will get better from now on.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wifes grand father told me that he was on a looting raid at the end of the war in Germany and many of the houses had no valuables in them and a few months after the war was over the German people started wearing their jewelry again and he asked a couple of families where they got their valuables and they had all hide or buried their stuff till things calmed down.
I guess this is why your box was empty. After the Civil things slowly went back to normal or the new normal .

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done story about your strong box. I recently watched the movie "Django" and I could visualize all what you were saying. Too bad it didn't have any treasure in it but I am sure you injoyed the hunt, excitement & suspence as much as I did.
Keep looking brother, it's out there somewhere.
ZDD

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting it's a shame the box was empty. But one hell of a story though. That lid would make a neat coffee table top with some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread