Status
Not open for further replies.

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me start by saying it was disparaging to see the number of rude comments: some claiming that our dig was a sham, some even going as far as claiming we planted the chest in the ground, and that our "cheap" detector could have never found that chest... that is not portraying a great hobby in a proper manner.

Well we are about to bury those ignorant thoughts, and show you the dig up close and personal.

Here is the video:

Here is the lid of the Chest... An attempt to remove the wood was made, though all that remained was Oak "mulch" mixed with clay.
Several Square nails were removed from the 'wooded' areas of the chest, in there original place. As well as, a D Ring that tied down the chest during transport. Another large Iron piece of the chest, possibly a handle, was recovered. The chest was unlocked though the face of a lock plate is present under the lip, no lock was recovered. The Chest lid is made of Cast Iron and is approximately 80 Pounds, and is exactly 24 inch X 24 inch. A lip is present on the lid to seal it flush against the former wood work.

DSC00058.JPG DSC00059.JPG DSC00060.JPG DSC00061.JPG IMG_0324.jpg

Post Cleaning...
IMG_4685.JPG IMG_4687.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4694.JPG

In the end, We found a buried Civil War era Strong Box... the story alone is worth a million...

Well, Iv'e got a Plane to Catch!
swiss 2.jpg

Here is the Official Plantation Dig Thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/366228-official-louisiana-plantation-dig.html

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A strong box made mostly of wood ? how would that work ?

SS

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least its a good ending. Sorry for my rudeness nice find tho to bad it wasn't full of Gold or Silver coins

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A strong box made mostly of wood ? how would that work ?

SS

The wood was around 3 inch thick!!, not all strong boxes were solid metal (how would you lift that?, that would be a safe)...
A strong box is not just a top locking Armada Chest or a small Wells Fargo Box (most of which were wood reinforced with metal by the way)

The reason we call it a strong box, is because it is a 2x2 ft. (a perfect square) very strong lockable box... we could call it a lockable chest if you prefer...

Strongbox- "a strongly made chest or case for money or valuables"

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, KONO, too many people are getting hung up on nomenclature. Sorry it was empty, but I'm still interested in what your continuing research will uncover.

A great story and adventure nonetheless.

TCK

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, KONO, too many people are getting hung up on nomenclature. Sorry it was empty, but I'm still interested in what your continuing research will uncover.

A great story and adventure nonetheless.

TCK

Don't worry the area will be detected and sifted Thoroughly :icon_thumleft:
It took so long (a few different trips) to get that stuff out, that we did not even get to scan the general vicinity of where it was found.

I'm trying to add stuff every week to our Official Dig Thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/366228-official-louisiana-plantation-dig.html

I'll put some good stuff in 'today's finds', and cataloge it later in the Official Thread.

I'll put everything else in the Official Thread.
We've got a bunch of broken china and old bottles with makers marks I'll put up soon. We've also got iron relics, and some telegraph insulators.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. KONO.... I followed this thread with great interest. And I certainly wish there was more in that hole for you. And I have NO IDEA what this box originally was but it is most certainly of interest. I truly hate to see folks doubt you and your thoughts. I fear that's what's going to happen to me and my cave endeavor. But I have such a HUGE area in which to cover and its hard to do (my problem). But, buddy I think you did a great job with your find and my hat's off to ya. Best luck going forward.... Brad

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok...I am confused..which is a normal state here....

I know nothing about the machine used to find this...or the method of locating the search area...

I do not see a lid to a box...yes it was on top of the wood square...was there a bottom???
this reminds me of storage for explosives or some other objects not wanted in the people area of the occupation...
while some people love to split hairs on terminologies...I just wonder about an iron lid with no hinges...it could just be a strongbox for one area...like a floor safe... but I bet fingers were important back then also...if it was a reusable box...it should have hinges...even if they were leather or hemp...
I do recall you stated you found something...but were keeping it secret...
well...there is my confusion
not being insulting I hope.

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok...I am confused..which is a normal state here....

Believe me that was not insulting at all, it's nice to see a friendly inquiry that does not jump to random conclusions :icon_thumright:

I will gladly answer your questions...

-The Garrett Ace 350 found the lid of box, it rang up as the highest rating on the LCD screen (this was due to a large flat iron plate which is known to trick the machine) The lid was 2 feet down.

-We were scouting out for building foundations and ruble to find a dig site, when we spotted a strange raised area (a few hundred square feet that was not wet)
We assumed it would have something in it: because, we saw bricks, an old broken vase (1800's), and old broken glass (1800's) including some ink wells, and small containers. So we started to detect... I will also mention we were in the Slave Hut Area.

-The bottom of the box was just a mulch like substance mixed in the wet clay, it had deteriorated from being under the water table (some pieces of which can be seen in the video, when I drain the hole). The coloration and composition of soil, besides the wood, showed the full sealing of this box.

-There were no explosives at this plantation then or now. (that we know of)

-We are currently cleaning the lid in vinegar and may perform large scale electrolysis on it.
This will allow us to get a better look at the metallurgy and look for makers marks. There were several iron spots exposed that were broken off (not just the corners) We cannot look for hinge points or other iron parts until we clean the rust off of the lid.
Interesting thoughts on the re-usability of the box, and the "floor safe" idea: there is no way to know until we finish our investigation.

-The secret thing we found was this box (code named "The Package"), I took down the thread in fear that we may have found a casket, which we would not disturb.

-Nothing was found in the box, I only said something could be in the box... and I also said it very well could be empty (which it was).

-The area has not been scanned, besides the hole you saw in the video. We will continue to uncover the square nails, and look for the hinge pieces (if there were any) and a lock. Hell, there could even be another chest. 8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. KONO.... I followed this thread with great interest. And I certainly wish there was more in that hole for you. And I have NO IDEA what this box originally was but it is most certainly of interest. I truly hate to see folks doubt you and your thoughts. I fear that's what's going to happen to me and my cave endeavor. But I have such a HUGE area in which to cover and its hard to do (my problem). But, buddy I think you did a great job with your find and my hat's off to ya. Best luck going forward.... Brad

Thankyou, I will support your endeavor as you have mine. :icon_thumleft: Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread