3 Large Cents and 1 1837 New York Market Center Accommodation Coin

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found what looks like 2 Draped Busts and one Coronet. I am pretty sure they have some detail that I can't see and REALLY need help as to how to make them look a little more presentable, as in reading the dates. I haven't done much to them other than get the loose dirt off of them with water. Please help... This was an awesome find, even though they are in rough shape.
Hopefully tomorrow I can find some more over there.
IMG_0861.JPGIMG_0860.JPGIMG_0859.JPGIMG_0858.JPGIMG_0857.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0854.JPG

Upvote 7
Man that is some tough soil you dug those in. I don't think there's much you can do with those, they were heavily corroded. Hopefully you can go back there and find some silver from the same time period as those coppers!

Man that is some tough soil you dug those in. I don't think there's much you can do with those, they were heavily corroded. Hopefully you can go back there and find some silver from the same time period as those coppers!

That would be awesome!

I think that's about the best they're gonna get. Messing with them more may have negative results. Definitely two Draped busts... almost looks like they want to give off a date. The middle one looks to be a late-style matron head I believe... check the designs of the 1830s and you should find your head somewhere.

The best u can do is put them in mineral oil for a few days amd keep taking them out and see what come up...You will probably see a little more detail. ..Great finds...Keep pluging away.
George.

Nice finds. Keep after it!

awesome coins!!!

Try wetting them with water and hold them up to a light at different angles, I can sometimes make out a date on them tough ones that way.just a thought if you can't read the dates.Nice finds!

Great coins..too bad they weren,t in better condition...I would head back there again and look for one of them old silvers !!!!

That's a bummer as you dug some nice coins there. Unfortunately there's two kinds of dug coins. Those with detail hiding under a layer of green crud, or like yours that actually have had the high points of the actual base metal eaten away. The cruddy ones you can usually remove some and improve the detail. Unfortunately you can't replace what's missing. Go find the silver that's there and you will have something

I hit the area again yesterday only to find nothing... I must have covered an area the size of a football field. The area is in a city park where landfill was brought in from somewhere else years ago. The only sounds I get in this area on my Etrac are 35 ferrous and upper 40's conductivity after removing the large cent pieces. I'm thinking about going back and digging up those, thinking maybe the iron is masking something. Sometimes I'll get a quick blip that shows a 1-38, which could be a silver dollar at a depth of a foot or more in areas where nothing is registering, even when running without any discrimination. I can turn on the pinpoint function and somewhat pick up on these ghost objects, but then it sometimes won't even show what type of metal it is reading. If I were to dig those the holes could be super deep. I think I'll first dig the iron targets to hopefully stumble on some decent coins.

Yeah tough break on the condition of the largies. Still nice to dig them. That 1837 NY Market Center token is very cool. Could be a hard times token (??)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back