🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I went to my flying eagle site and spent a couple hours with a buddy there. Total bust. Came home with a pouch of junk iron and aluminum. So this morning I set my alarm for 5am and decided to spend the morning at a different site swinging and using my sifter. I was determined not to let my weekend hunts end with nothing. I had made a couple sifters last week and I was dying to give them a shot. So, when I dug a plug that had pottery and glass, I would open it up and sift a section.

IMG_20150816_163141832.jpg

My favorites from today are; 1) oyster shell button (sifting), 2) dandy tombac button with floral design, 3) Civil war general service coat button, 4) 3 fragments of 5/64ths pipe stems (sifting), 5) doll head (sifting), 6) clay marble (sifting)

IMG_20150816_162705090.jpg

Let me say that I know NOTHING about glass or pottery. From my observations, the brown glass appears to be the top part of a hand blown ink well. I found a few other bottle pieces that appear hand blown as well.

I had no idea what the doll head was when I pulled it from the sifter. Just threw it in my junk section of my pouch. When I got home I was soaking everything and saw there was a face. I couldnt believe I missed it... its great to find a keeper in a pile of junk. Another reason I hold onto everything for a while.

The green copper is most likely a LC. Its the right dimensions and weight. Toasted though. Ill see if I cant pull some more details from it later this week.

All three of the pipe stems are 5/64ths. The one I found earlier was 6/64ths, which I believe pre-date these stems.

IMG_20150816_162717105.jpg IMG_20150816_162727530.jpg
IMG_20150816_162733090_HDR.jpg IMG_20150816_162740023_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150816_162744563_HDR.jpg IMG_20150816_162753937_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150816_163111201_HDR.jpg IMG_20150816_163202929.jpg

I keep finding fragments of these sorts of tombac buttons. Even though this one is cracked, I was so excited to dig it today. It was coming in high and deep and at one point I thought it was a copper or silver. When I saw was it was, I wouldnt have traded it for either a copper or silver. The oystershell button was easily my favorite find today. I snatched it up before the dirt even made it into the sifter. It has a cool cartwheel design on it.
Dandy.jpg IMG_20150816_073911985.jpg
IMG_20150813_122320383.jpg IMG_20150816_130832780.jpg

I have a few what-is-its.
- Pictures 2, 4 and 6 have a heart shaped "thing" in them. I found the first one sifting and it was borderline organic but I thought maybe man made. The second one appeared shortly after. They appear to be some sort of shell... maybe from a nut. If they are man made, that would be awesome!

- Same pictures 2, 4, 6 to the right of the heart shaped things is a small brass piece. It has a slit that tapers and it popped out a little bit. I dug this about a foot from the civil war button.

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did great brother with the sifter...looks like it really paid off big time. I love the glass buttons, the doll head, and the oyster shell button :thumbsup:

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really cool stuff you sifted out there. Love the buttons, but that doll head is really cool.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your favourites are mine also, nice assortment of finds.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great day you had! A day like that is one to remember. The buttons are phenomenal.

Steve

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on quite an assortment of finds.
The doll head is pretty cool.

Thank you! I had all the glass and pottery soaking when I got home and was looking through it when I saw the doll face. VERY nice surprise.

You did great brother with the sifter...looks like it really paid off big time. I love the glass buttons, the doll head, and the oyster shell button :thumbsup:

Thanks Erik. This was my first time and I quickly realized its incredibly addicting. I quickly loaded my pouch up with stuff. They oyster button was the first thing I found, so after I knew my day wasn't another bust, I had a great time.

Some really cool stuff you sifted out there. Love the buttons, but that doll head is really cool.

Thanks Will! Hopefully someone can guess on a date of that doll head. I have not found anything later than mid 1860's at this site... so my guess would be anytime before that period. BTW, awesome cameo ring. I've been off tnet all weekend and just catching up on the weekend finds.

Your favourites are mine also, nice assortment of finds.

Thank you! I had a strategy yesterday that involved putting my sniper coil on my T2. I wanted to work a section that I have pounded, but needed to get the coil under the brush and close to the ground. It really paid off. The eagle button was found feet from the I button I dug a month ago. The two large flat buttons were found feet from a KG and CT Copper.... all areas I have hit very hard in multiple directions.

What a great day you had! A day like that is one to remember. The buttons are phenomenal.

Steve

Thanks Steve. This woulda been a "just okay" day for you! hahaha You've been having a great year with some killer finds man. I'll definitely remember this as the day my sifter starting coming everywhere with me. ha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any ideas on these two pieces from yesterday?

Both are lead. One has what looks like a "4" etched into it. The other is hammered into an octagon shape... hard to see from the picture, but it does have 8 sides. Maybe someone got bored and hammered a bullet?

IMG_20150817_081552.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What sort of teeth are those in those? They almost look human...

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, What size wire mesh did you use for your sifter-quarter inch?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What sort of teeth are those in those? They almost look human...

They're very large and the molars match up perfectly with a pig jaw!

Specifically, they are the three teeth I circled in red... so I suppose, its the bottom right of a pigs jaw. There is a fair amount of animal bones in this trash pit. I know I have found lots of chicken bones, but this pig jaw was the first piece I could actually match to the animal.

pig_teeth.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, What size wire mesh did you use for your sifter-quarter inch?

I was using 1/2" that came highly recommended by Bill D (Va). I made an identical one with 1/4" screen, but I think I will swap it out for 1/2" and move my latches to the sides, so I can clip them together. That way, I can have two small sifters or clip the latches, attaching the two and making a bigger one. I kept an eye on what came out the bottom and that's how I got those three small glass buttons.... it would be tough to get dirt through 1/4".

Nice finds, that's a lot of digging...

Thank you!

I was going through the pile of pottery and noticed that I had a bunch of pieces to a pot. Three of them went together.
IMG_20150817_130120377.jpg

It looks like maybe the maker left their fingerprints on the outside of the pot!
IMG_20150817_130208262_HDR.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're absolutely right-it's a total pain to sift dry dirt through 1/4 inch.
I was using 1/2" that came highly recommended by Bill D (Va). I made an identical one with 1/4" screen, but I think I will swap it out for 1/2" and move my latches to the sides, so I can clip them together. That way, I can have two small sifters or clip the latches, attaching the two and making a bigger one. I kept an eye on what came out the bottom and that's how I got those three small glass buttons.... it would be tough to get dirt through 1/4".

Thank you!

I was going through the pile of pottery and noticed that I had a bunch of pieces to a pot. Three of them went together.
View attachment 1200461

It looks like maybe the maker left their fingerprints on the outside of the pot!
View attachment 1200462

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
They're very large and the molars match up perfectly with a pig jaw!

Specifically, they are the three teeth I circled in red... so I suppose, its the bottom right of a pigs jaw. There is a fair amount of animal bones in this trash pit. I know I have found lots of chicken bones, but this pig jaw was the first piece I could actually match to the animal.

View attachment 1200458

Yep - wild boar or pigs bones and tusks are commonly found in colonial trash pits, and was apparently a staple in their diet along with oysters for folks residing in the Tidewater.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of relics! Congrats!
I like the buttons and doll head.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great digs. I like those boxes ya made!!!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of assorted goodies

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all!

I just got back from another 5 hours of swinging and sifting. It is an insane amount of fun. I am totally addicted to it now.

I have a ton of new stuff that I am still in the middle of cleaning\sorting\processing, but its an equal (if not better) variety as this post. I'll take pictures and get a post up tomorrow morning. Thank you all again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread