Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
It was back again to our pounded 1600s site for the 3rd hunt in a row, and this time we brought along Dan's father (John) and our friend Joey. We got a late start (early afternoon), and were originally hindered by some light rain but things cleared out nicely and we ended the day with gorgeous fall-like weather. The finds weren't quite as abundant as on previous hunts, but fortunately I made a couple of nice finds to save the day. No coins this time, but one of the first targets I recovered was a surprise when I suddenly was standing there holding an early 17th century apostle spoon handle, similar to the one Dan dug a few hunts back in another part of the same property. It's the 2nd one of these I've dug, and this one is in far better shape than the pewter example I found a few years ago. I've included some additional info on these unique spoons at the end of this post for those interested. Also, near the end of the hunt I was able to pull out a nice example of a 1700s bullion weight of 5 pennyweight denomination. It was marked on both sides with 5 stamped dots (or annulets) along with a lions mark (representing London). These are not rare by any means, but cool finds none-the-less. Some other coin weights I've found dating from the late 1500s through the Victorian era are pictured below as well. Other than those 2 finds I managed just a few buttons and some other doo-dads from the 1600s thru the 1800s. It was certainly another enjoyable hunt, but it's getting time to move on and find us a fresh new site.

I did a little comparison with my apostle spoon handle and Dan's to see how they compared (see last pic below). These spoons first came into use in the 1500s, and were often produced in sets of 13 - one representing the image of Jesus and the others for the 12 apostles. Each of the spoons for the 12 apostles apparently used a slightly different design as described below:

The Master (Jesus) – typically with a cross and orb
Peter – typically a sword, key, or fish
Andrew – typically a cross
James the Greater – typically a pilgrim’s staff
John – typically the cup of sorrow
Philip – typically a staff
Bartholomew – typically a knife
Thomas – typically a spar
Matthew – typically an axe or halbert
James the Lesser – typically a fuller’s bat
Jude – typically a carpenter’[s set square
Simon Zealotes – typically a long saw
Judas Iscariot – typically a bag of money

I've been trying to see if I can determine which one(s) that our spoon handles match up with, but it's very difficult to determine what I'm seeing on them. I can't even tell if the one Dan has the same design as mine, although it does appear to be slightly different. If anyone thinks they can pick out enough detail to ID either of our handles please don't be afraid to throw out your opinion.

Attachments

• 101615a.jpg
    101615a.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 101615b.jpg
    101615b.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 101615c.jpg
    101615c.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 101615d.jpg
    101615d.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 101615e.jpg
    101615e.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 101615h.jpg
    101615h.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 139
  • 101615g.jpg
    101615g.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 101615f.jpg
    101615f.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 153
  • coin weight side1.jpg
    coin weight side1.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 146
  • apostle spoon comparison.jpg
    apostle spoon comparison.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 16

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those early relic finds Bill. But that apostle knop is incredible. Man I hope you pull a complete example some day. I know how much you like those. I don't think people realize just how rare and special they are

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not rare as you say, but all mine are not as nice a condition as that weight! If only I had your soil!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good stuff Bill!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW Bill! I cant believe the condition of these two. That weight is really awesome. Seems like a lot keeps getting turned up. I'm always amazed at what we leave behind, but never surprised. Can't wait to see what else you pull from this place.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just noticed something in your group shot. I've found a few of these and had a theory about what they were... But didn't know for sure. Are they parts to "drafting compasses"? If so, do you know why they might have been so popular? I've found a bunch of them at one spot and a few still have some bits of wood left in them.

IMG_20151017_113413.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they are from old rulers. I used to have one

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is similar to the one I had
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445096475.643526.jpg

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just noticed something in your group shot. I've found a few of these and had a theory about what they were... But didn't know for sure. Are they parts to "drafting compasses"? If so, do you know why they might have been so popular? I've found a bunch of them at one spot and a few still have some bits of wood left in them.

View attachment 1223871

Looks like Abe already answered your question, but I have no clue why we seem to find so many of these.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first picture contains so much super old stuff, if you sprinkled in a few crusty Romans it would look like a Crusader post. I'm always amazed with the really old colonial sites you guys have down South. (South of me anyway).

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a day Bill. The spoon handle is in great shape and that weight is a stand-alone beauty! That's some site you have there. And to think more may appear next ploughing!

Steve

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you guys made. That weight is immaculate. Great patina on it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Abe already answered your question, but I have no clue why we seem to find so many of these.

There was lots of naughty boys to smack in those days & they all broke.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, I love that spoon handle. Nice hunt for a pounded spot.
Nice to see you get Joey out also.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY BILL NICE BUNCHA FINDS YOU HAVE THERE . THOSE WEIGHTS ARE COOL AS HECK .

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That apostle spoon was by far the find of the day! What's crazy is the last picture I saw from that book you had in your truck, not even an hour earlier, was of an apostle spoon! Next time bring some pictures of of colonial gold coins!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That apostle spoon was by far the find of the day! What's crazy is the last picture I saw from that book you had in your truck, not even an hour earlier, was of an apostle spoon! Next time bring some pictures of of colonial gold coins!

Haha! That reminds me of 7 years ago when me and 2 of my hunting buddies were going to stop at a pounded site on the way home after striking out elsewhere. I believe I said something like "we're not going to find a thing there since we've HAMMERED that place". I think you know how that story ended.

IMG_0388a.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The spoon is a really nice find though I'm really drawn to the weight as the condition is so great.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was back again to our pounded 1600s site for the 3rd hunt in a row, and this time we brought along Dan's father (John) and our friend Joey. We got a late start (early afternoon), and were originally hindered by some light rain but things cleared out nicely and we ended the day with gorgeous fall-like weather. The finds weren't quite as abundant as on previous hunts, but fortunately I made a couple of nice finds to save the day. No coins this time, but one of the first targets I recovered was a surprise when I suddenly was standing there holding an early 17th century apostle spoon handle, similar to the one Dan dug a few hunts back in another part of the same property. It's the 2nd one of these I've dug, and this one is in far better shape than the pewter example I found a few years ago. I've included some additional info on these unique spoons at the end of this post for those interested. Also, near the end of the hunt I was able to pull out a nice example of a 1700s bullion weight of 5 pennyweight denomination. It was marked on both sides with 5 stamped dots (or annulets) along with a lions mark (representing London). These are not rare by any means, but cool finds none-the-less. Some other coin weights I've found dating from the late 1500s through the Victorian era are pictured below as well. Other than those 2 finds I managed just a few buttons and some other doo-dads from the 1600s thru the 1800s. It was certainly another enjoyable hunt, but it's getting time to move on and find us a fresh new site.

I did a little comparison with my apostle spoon handle and Dan's to see how they compared (see last pic below). These spoons first came into use in the 1500s, and were often produced in sets of 13 - one representing the image of Jesus and the others for the 12 apostles. Each of the spoons for the 12 apostles apparently used a slightly different design as described below:

The Master (Jesus) – typically with a cross and orb
Peter – typically a sword, key, or fish
Andrew – typically a cross
James the Greater – typically a pilgrim’s staff
John – typically the cup of sorrow
Philip – typically a staff
Bartholomew – typically a knife
Thomas – typically a spar
Matthew – typically an axe or halbert
James the Lesser – typically a fuller’s bat
Jude – typically a carpenter’[s set square
Simon Zealotes – typically a long saw
Judas Iscariot – typically a bag of money

I've been trying to see if I can determine which one(s) that our spoon handles match up with, but it's very difficult to determine what I'm seeing on them. I can't even tell if the one Dan has the same design as mine, although it does appear to be slightly different. If anyone thinks they can pick out enough detail to ID either of our handles please don't be afraid to throw out your opinion.

Had fun as always and love the apostle. It is always unique and a treat when we both find one of those odd finds so no one is left out.

Will certainly do it again soon!

Dan

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting