Colonial Brass Acorn, Banjo Drum Bracket, 1820LC, and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a hunt today and decided to leave my Deus at home and take the T2 along. These two machine seem to compliment each other well and when a site gets quiet for one machine, it usually has a few hits on the other machine. A lot of my targets today were totally invisible to the Deus w/11" coil and I think this is because my T2 had the elliptical coil on today... still waiting on Deus to release that new coil so I can clean up.

I didnt get much today, but I did get a few quality pieces. My favorite is the hand engraved acorn. A nice 1820 LC turned up, and another piece to my shoulder scales which is always great. The 11 rivets with leather were in the same plug as the scale piece. When I saw the hole filled with rivets and the scale piece, I was really hoping it would be something good... but after removing all the rivets, the machine went quiet. The umbrella slide piece still has fabric in it which is cool. Some pieces came off when I rinsed it so they're laying next to it. Lastly, the silver plated brass hook thing goes to a Banjo... more on that below.

IMG_20160109_224435447.jpg IMG_20160109_224449718.jpg
IMG_20160109_224456489.jpg IMG_20160109_224508210.jpg

I dug the bullet in the same area I've dug about 4 sharps carbines. It appears to have been chewed and has what looks like lots of teeth marks. You can even see where they bit down and the tooth slid across the lead. I'm fairly certain this would have been another sharps.

IMG_20160109_224501455.jpg

This piece was deep and came out with a great looking green color to it. The emerald green always seems to fade by the time I get home. I knew right away it was to a musket trigger guard...

IMG_20160109_110719321_merged.jpg

After I cleaned the acorn up I figured I might as well check and see if it fits the trigger guard I dug a few months ago. Here is the post when the trigger guard turned up: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/476699-couple-colonial-keepers.html So I pull it out of the display case and I can't believe it... where one dips, the other sticks out, the break and bend is spot on! Buried 50 yards apart and dug about 4 months apart.

IMG_20160109_181831683.jpg IMG_20160109_181909042.jpg

It closely matches #15 on page 211 of G. Neumann's "Encyclopedia of The American Revolution". Now I just need to find the back piece of the guard.

IMG_20160109_182620617.jpg

Another solid LC turned up. I feel spoiled since I've been digging ID-able coppers the last half dozen or so trips. I'm sure this streak will end soon and I'll go back to digging those pitted copper disks.

IMG_20160109_161731080_HDR.jpg

And that silver plated brass hook... when it came out of the dirt I thought to myself 'this has to tighten a drum head' :lightbulb: As I was cleaning things and taking pictures for you guys it hit me... it goes to a Banjo drum!! I found a bunch online that match it perfectly. Here is a similar one showing how they were hooked to hold the drum head on. Super cool to me since I love these personal items. I'm sure this banjo hook was on a banjo that entertained around a camp fire long before electricity. I've found the Violin Bow Frog and naturally... LOTS of harmonicas and a circle brass reed to some other instrument at this place. Seems like lots of music was played there.

100770-3.jpg Image-From-One-Thousand-and-One-Banjos-Antique-banjos.JPG

I haven't zapped this yet, but it appears to be the top part of an old musket iron butt plate. It's contoured to curve around the stock and has mounting screw holes in the correct spots. Its cool to dig them in iron... I do wish it was complete, however I have 6 five gallon buckets full of iron from this place so there is a chance I already have it.

IMG_20160109_231005706.jpg

Another bone handled knife\spoon\fork also turned up... I forgot I had it in mineral oil when I took all the pictures. Its too bad the blade is missing.

IMG_20160109_225548598_HDR.jpg

The growing shoulder scales... I haven't counted a set of scales to see how many I'm still missing, but I bet I'm about half way there.

IMG_20160109_230709082.jpg

It's cool to start seeing pieces of things that go together turn up. The trigger guard, the shoulder scales... and I have 12+ broken shoe buckle frames. In my recent trips I started finding frame pieces that are fitting together.. just like the trigger guard.

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wtg! Here's a similar one I dug at a rev war camp in the lowcountry of SC View attachment 1258399

Now that is awesome! Looks like they took the time to add some stippling to the top of your acorn.. cool to see the dots in there. I've found enough pieces of an early colonial musket here to wager a safe bet that a lot of it was discarded there. Another piece I dug here that most likely went to the same musket was a patch box cover. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ch-box-plate-us-calvary-bit-boss-1803-lc.html

IMG_20151011_102411.jpg

Last edited:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool that you found that piece of the triggerguard, congrats

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! That acorn and large cent are very nice. I love the last pic. Seems like a great spot. Congrats!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
More cool stuff from that ever-giving site of yours. And you're getting pretty good at ID'ing some of the unique items that are showing up too As far as that chewed bullet, just remember that farm animals are known to have munched on those as well, especially pigs, and it may take someone experienced to tell the difference. Nice hunt!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that acorn piece is awesome. Nice looking lc as well buddy. I love the fact that you are so passionate about history and respecting these amazing items. I know ive said it before but it really shines through pal. I have a ton of respect for that. Don't you wish they could make one machine with the speed of the Deus and the depth of the T2 and the accuracy on IDs of a 30-30? That would be some machine

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So cool that you found that piece of the triggerguard, congrats

Thanks Jyverb64! The trigger guard still has the iron pin though the front attachment lug.... which means it was still installed in the stock when it went into the dirt. Hopefully the rest of it turns up.

Awesome finds! That acorn and large cent are very nice. I love the last pic. Seems like a great spot. Congrats!

Thanks Sooper Dave! That's a portion of my Civil War section of my display that has come from this site. If you want to see the rest of the CW stuff from this place, check out my Year-End post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/2015-annual-finds/486806-2015-incredible-year.html This site has been a whole mess of coins and relics from the Colonial Era, through the Civil War.

More cool stuff from that ever-giving site of yours. And you're getting pretty good at ID'ing some of the unique items that are showing up too As far as that chewed bullet, just remember that farm animals are known to have munched on those as well, especially pigs, and it may take someone experienced to tell the difference. Nice hunt!

Thanks Bill! I don't get this place man... its like relics and coins grow in the dirt when I'm not there. Out of 20+ hunts at this place, I have never had a trip that didn't turn up something awesome. The last half dozen trips I thought I had beat this place to death, and then coppers and spanish start flying out of the dirt. I'm baffled by the LC from yesterday.... its in another pounded area and was only 5 or so inches deep... slamming signal. The only thing I can think of is in the past year, this small section of ground was neglected by a coil swing and was untouched. With the concentration of finds, that makes me hopeful that there are some other keepers there still... although its tough squeezing anything else out.

Good to know about the animals chewing lead. Wonder why it was appealing for a pig to chew on a piece of lead like that! It certainly looks chewed pretty good and the force that would have done that makes me think animal. If I tried to do that to a lead bullet, all my teeth would be loose by the time I crushed it that much. ha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that acorn piece is awesome. Nice looking lc as well buddy. I love the fact that you are so passionate about history and respecting these amazing items. I know ive said it before but it really shines through pal. I have a ton of respect for that. Don't you wish they could make one machine with the speed of the Deus and the depth of the T2 and the accuracy on IDs of a 30-30? That would be some machine

They could name that machine "The Unicorn" :laughing7: Man, how awesome would that be! Every setting has its pros and cons and man it would be awesome to have fast, deep and accurate all at once. You'll laugh, but when I turned my machine on yesterday I totally FORGOT how to ground balance it. haha I had to google it on my phone. I kept holding menu and pushing the trigger which was changing the frequency. That was how my v3i gb'ed. Funny how quick you forget something like that when you don't use it for a couple months.

Thanks for the great compliments Abe! Like most of us, these relics are worth their weight in gold to me. I truly enjoy the history of each thing I find... It's a window into the past of a much simpler and harder time that is very appealing to me. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the people that lost this stuff... they are my celebrities.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had another very productive hunt Brad-I love tge variety of relics you found. The shoulder scales are coming together nicely-keep digging!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery on the other part of the trigger, it's really surprising how far items get spread apart in a worked area. What's more surprising the amount of finds you came up from each hunt, as each posting looks like you've just began hunting the site.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great digs buddy, congrats!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great bunch of finds and great job on the id of the trigger guard. Really cool finding any part of a musket! Thanks for sharing your finds and your knowledge!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had another very productive hunt Brad-I love tge variety of relics you found. The shoulder scales are coming together nicely-keep digging!

Thanks DownNDirty! I looked up a picture online and I'm only missing 2 scales if you count the top attachment piece... so one scale that looks like the rest and then one scale that will be a bit bigger. They're very thin sheet brass and they dont come in too high, plus its a very trashy area... so it'll be tough to locate them, but I am certain of where they are in a 20x20 yard area.

Nice recovery on the other part of the trigger, it's really surprising how far items get spread apart in a worked area. What's more surprising the amount of finds you came up from each hunt, as each posting looks like you've just began hunting the site.

Thanks Jim! I'm surprised about things getting spread apart too. I know the area where the trigger guard piece is a plowed field, but the area where the acorn was is not plowed... or if it was, it was plowed 100+ years ago. I also can't believe stuff is still showing up here... its not like it was over the summer where I would get targets all over the place. I've almost totally cleared out the big iron (six 5 gallon buckets worth) and I'm reduced to digging nails... lots of nails... and the occasional whisper will turn up something non-ferrous. The acorn should have been a nail... there was a nail in the plug with it, but the acorn was deep and a blip in only one direction on the T2. So there's stuff there, but its not easy to find at all.

Wow, great digs buddy, congrats!

Thanks Brad! The T2 is a well balanced machine weight-wise, but I sure was hurting after 8 hours on Sat. The Deus is so light!

Great bunch of finds and great job on the id of the trigger guard. Really cool finding any part of a musket! Thanks for sharing your finds and your knowledge!

Thanks Darby! It's always awesome to flip the pages of a reference book and see something (similar) to something you dug. I'll sometimes flip the pages and look at the pictures and recognize something I dug in the past that I couldn't ID before.

Great acorn. Congrats on another solid hunt!

Thanks Isaac! I thought the acorn was a lock key hole cover when I saw it in the dirt clod... it was really nice to pick it up and see the engraving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread