Mid 1800's photograph (Notman - Sandham Studio) - my non detecting find.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a very unusual and interesting find. Not while metal detecting this time. Was walking around my neighborhood and noticed that someone put a large old portrait on the side of the road to be picked up by the garbage truck. It had a large and heavy gold gilded frame so I knew it wasn't some cheap decoration. Only arriving home realized that what I found was a very old hand colored photograph rather than a painting. The writing says Notman Photo - Hy Sandham Copy. I contacted the McCord museum as they hold the largest collection of William Notman's work, they confirmed the authenticity of the photograph which dates to 1850's-1860's The way Notman studio colored the photographs at that period was by painting over the original photograph taken at the studio, an extra service provided to very wealthy clients. The ''Copy'' on the photograph indicated that an other example was created (possibly to be colored). Unfortunately the museum could not provide at this time the name of the gentlemen depicted on the photo.

William Notman (1826-1891) was a Canadian pioneer photographer. He opened a studio in Montreal in 1856 and won multiple prizes for his composites.He was later named photographer of the Queen (Victoria).

Notman, A Visionary Photographer - Musee McCord

Henry Sandham (1842-1910) was a renown Canadian painter. He started his carrer at the age of 14 at Notman studio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Sandham

Really cool find. No detector needed.

View attachment Notman-Sandham.jpg

Notman-Sandham 2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is some Curb Surfing GOLD!:headbang: I can't imagine what people are thinking throwing stuff like this out on the curb?!?:dontknow: Fortunately someone who appreciates history and cool old things wandered into a genuine historical treasure. Well done on the rescue mate.:icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery, I can't get over why history is just tossed to the curb.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is some Curb Surfing GOLD!:headbang: I can't imagine what people are thinking throwing stuff like this out on the curb?!?:dontknow: Fortunately someone who appreciates history and cool old things wandered into a genuine historical treasure. Well done on the rescue mate.:icon_thumright:

Thanks. I never understood why people just destroy such beautiful old items. I'm wondering if the word ''copy'' made them think it was a repro.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Mid 19th century - Certainly one of your newer finds! Haha.

That's pretty cool man. Nice catch

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That beats my best trash find...and I thought silver in a dumpster was grand.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent save Aureus, that's a fine piece! I'd bet a gallery or museum featuring Notman or Sandham would love to have it in their permanent collection, or at least on loan for display.

A while back I found some paintings at the dump. Mostly junk, but one was by a moderately famous local artist. There's a gallery in a city a couple of hours away that has many of her pieces, and when I contacted them they said it was worth $1000 and they'd love to have it. Hopefully I'll get it to them someday soon.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mid 19th century - Certainly one of your newer finds! Haha.

That's pretty cool man. Nice catch

Lol. Yes, not that old but can't expect 15th-16th century photograph...would be cool though :tongue3:

Thanks.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That beats my best trash find...and I thought silver in a dumpster was grand.

Never know what people throw out some times. Few years back seen a nice wooden box on the side of the road. Thought it would be a nice for coins display, so picked it up and found a bunch of scrap gold and silver inside (lots of it). Was pretty cool. But the best would be in 2010, in an old Montreal neighborhood a house was being demolished. There was a bunch of old 19th century books on the side of the road. I picked up a few and brought them home as I have just bought an old typewriter and thought they would look neat laying next to it on the table. Opened one of the books and there was a 1937 Canadian 25$ bill inside, serial number 000008 (rare special edition piece celebrating 25 years of Royal wedding). Sold it within two days for 2500 $ the dealer was super happy to buy it from me so I suspect he made some more money on it.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome save on the photograph. Really neat !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent save Aureus, that's a fine piece! I'd bet a gallery or museum featuring Notman or Sandham would love to have it in their permanent collection, or at least on loan for display.

A while back I found some paintings at the dump. Mostly junk, but one was by a moderately famous local artist. There's a gallery in a city a couple of hours away that has many of her pieces, and when I contacted them they said it was worth $1000 and they'd love to have it. Hopefully I'll get it to them someday soon.

Thank you. I actually offered to lend it to the McCord museum for their next year's Notman exposition. From what I have seen on their website they have a very few painted examples. Being signed by Henry Sandham I believe makes it even more interesting.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I actually offered to lend it to the McCord museum for their next year's Notman exposition. From what I have seen on their website they have a very few painted examples. Being signed by Henry Sandham I believe makes it even more interesting.

Yes, it's got a lot going for it! The subject and the artist are both solid in their own right, and together makes it a very interesting piece. Would be so cool if it gets put on display at that exposition. Again, very awesome find!

Also, not to sound harsh but....whoever threw that out is an idiot.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Nice save

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, it's got a lot going for it! The subject and the artist are both solid in their own right, and together makes it a very interesting piece. Would be so cool if it gets put on display at that exposition. Again, very awesome find!

Also, not to sound harsh but....whoever threw that out is an idiot.

Thank you. The person from the museum I spoke to was actually excited to see the photograph. So we'll see what happens.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice save. That someone would throw that away is unbelievable. That is a great looking piece.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice save. That someone would throw that away is unbelievable. That is a great looking piece.

Thank you. Yes, it's hard to understand why people destroy such interesting and important items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread