Where Will This One Take Us??? 1801-1809 Thomas Jefferson Coin

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNET Family,
I have debated on whether or not to post this coin (token, medallion, medal) whatever it is called, on TNET due to the fact that I took it to a coin dealer years ago and he did not seem real knowledgeable on the history or the value of this coin, so I have put it in a safe place for about the past 15 years since I found it with my medal detector. I just dug it out again from my collection and I just can't stop thinking about what it is and how many were minted... you know the thoughts that we ponder when we think we have possibly found something good and maybe even rare. I am asking everyone on TNET if they can help me identify this coin. I have looked in a lot of different coin books and scoured the internet in hopes that there would be some sort of publication on this coin. The link below is the closest thing I have been able to find.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...m=10&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS238US238&sa=N

Anyone have a clue to this coins past.

Obverse
Thomas Jefferson Obverse.jpg

Reverse
Thomas Jefferson Reverse.jpg

Thanks!
Rob

Upvote 0

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
I believe they were gas station premiums back in the 50's or 60's.
You could get the whole set. I've seen sets in mint condition on eBay.
Years ago, I found about half of a coffee can of them in the City Park
Duck Pond when it was drained. I kind of think someone stole them
from a house, and when they realized they were tokens, they chucked
them into the lake. They were all in about a 4 ft circle. You will no doubt
find more of those.

HH Slabman

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is a token -- similar but differant to the older tokens made in the past -- yours is a modern plated type -(say 50's to 70's era most likely) - I see the plating is wearing off . -- as a modern token its most like not high dollar but is still a neat find none the less.--- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
please type in thomas jefferson token or thomas jefferson 3rd president token in your search box -- the coin dealers web site list it as a token (montecello ,virgina) -- there you are -- we are both fast and good round here.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone, I was hoping for more, but that is the first time I have actually saw a picture with it in mint condition.
I found it by typing in the search terms you suggested ivan and thanks to the post in the beginning, in between and afterwards.
Rob

wjn193

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the picture of the mint codition coin and this one is not the same i have one of these coins and i can not seem to find the value of it or what it is but the one in mint that you guys just showed the dates are in two differnt places

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread