May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunt continues on the new farm for a good place to start gridding. As I'm now pretty sure the ring ditches are Bronze Age barrows, I will leave these for another time as it tends to be 1 object or nothing. Unless the Saxon's were around, which I have no signs of.
Therefore today we started at the obivious place nearest the Church. I guessed our resident detectorist would have been there, but it was the most trashy place we had tried, multiple signals most swings. Maybe he gave up on it, but this is the area I like, so started cherry picking as it was to many to dig on young wheat & we only had 2 hours:

Tudor Lace Chape
Mystery Medieval? Object with holes & a rivet in the centre:icon_scratch:
Buttons
Smashed Crotal Bell

My best button in a long time, I really like this one, never seen it before.
TWO PENNY POST OFFICE
Backmark:
P & S Firmin
153 Strand London
& 13 Conduit St
Dates it to 1839-49 I believe, & makes it one of the earliest PO Buttons ever produced, what a piece of history & in great shape as well.:headbang:
If anyone can find one online let me know?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 4

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on all the buttons!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, from what I can tell the Twopenny Post Office was renamed the London District Post Office in 1844. This narrows the date, & I think the production of these buttons most have been low. I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be a Very Rare Button.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader,

Good score on the PO button....top notch condition....I had asked a UK detectorist on another forum why he found
so many buttons in the plowed fields....he told me that in days gone by they used night soil for fertilizing the fields
and plenty of buttons would end up in the chamber pots....lol.

Not sure if it's true or not but sounded plausible at the time.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader,

Good score on the PO button....top notch condition....I had asked a UK detectorist on another forum why he found
so many buttons in the plowed fields....he told me that in days gone by they used night soil for fertilizing the fields
and plenty of buttons would end up in the chamber pots....lol.

Not sure if it's true or not but sounded plausible at the time.

Regards + HH

Bill

Most of the buttons were dumped on the fields, one way or the other. Often they were burning the clothes & using the cotton as fertilizer/conditioning the soil (lightening heavy clay soil). Shoddy was often used up until the late 1940/50s.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"one you haven't found"

Pretty much says rare to me.

AND in FANTASTIC condition.

Nice to add one to the collection.

Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul as usual. Hope you get into the silver soon. Good luck!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul as usual. Hope you get into the silver soon. Good luck!

We will, its just a huge farm & it will take time, plus someone had a 15 year head start, so we will be the mop up crew.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Button Cru......Your Rockin as usual.................HH

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

This is from the British Postal Museum:

Our curator has suggested it is a button from a Twopenny Post Letter Carriers uniform.
There used to be multiple administrations of the post from different branches of the service, particularly in London. There was the Inland Office- responsible for the whole postal system, the Foreign Office who dealt with foreign mail and the Twopenny Post Office in London. Each had their own staff who delivered mail. In theory, it was possible in London to receive mail from three different letter carriers on the same day (General Post, Twopenny Post and Foreign). The charge for a local letter in London was Twopenny with an additional charge as you moved outside the defined area.
Just about all of this changed following Postal Reform in 1840, the posts being more or less amalgamated.

I pushed them a little on the date/raity, as this implies that the button is 1839-40 (wow short lived):

We do have a number of buttons in the collection, these appear to be scattered throughout and are part of the cataloguing backlog. However obviously the majority of buttons in our collection are part of, and fixed to, the uniform collection. We do have few particularly early items of uniform amongst the hundreds that we hold (off site), probably the Mail Guard and River Postman are amongst those earliest. So it is possible that we do not hold a Twopenny Post uniform.
The last thing to consider is that buttons had a value, their reuse was encouraged, if not required, at the time. It is very possible that many Twopenny Post buttons were reused on the replacement uniforms and saw extended use.

Basically, it seems they don't have one & the rarity is as I expected.:icon_thumright:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds... love the button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread