Roman gold coins: Theodosius and Zeno

StevenEleven

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys,

This are the coins I talked about in this thread . Sorry, I promised to post photos a very long time ago, but I swear I got the photos only today. So here they are. Please tell me what's their worth. Each weighs approximately 4,5 grams and the gold is 22 kirate. A very @#$@! potential buyer broke one of them to check if their real gold :BangHead: . It wasn't our mistake me and my friend. Please tell me what they are worth.

More info and the story:
Found with a fisher f75 special edition. Too close to the surface though like 2 inches or so. The F75 was pointing at zinc. But this wasn't a blind strike of luck. The land owner found more of them first while he was harvesting carrots I think or planting them not sure and he found a broken jar. That's his version and asked the help of a guy with a detector which was my friend. That's all.

Attachments

• theod1.jpg
    theod1.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 136
  • theod2.jpg
    theod2.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 123
  • theod3.jpg
    theod3.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 130
  • zeno.jpg
    zeno.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 138

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly common late Roman solidi types. I would estimate U.S. $400-$700 range for each coin, though the damaged coin I would not expect too much more than melt value. Very nice find!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why didn't your buyer actually buy them? I always thought a gold coin would bend but not break? I'd love to find one of those, as long as they're genuine. Where are you detecting?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That destroyed coin didn't "break" ; it was destroyed by being cut. Hopefully, you can get the value of the coin (before it was cut) from that potential buyer. Personally, I'd sue him for destruction of personal property if he refused to reimburse me for the value of the coin--assuming it is genuine.
Don.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What country are you in? I mean, what country were these coins found in ?

OP
OP
S

StevenEleven

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins were found in North Africa. They're genuine don't you doubt it. :) We charged the guy who cut the coin 200$ for the damage. He deserves it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions