What's new

1 Good Nickel Box and one GREAT Nickel Box

Codes

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend picked up 2 nickel boxes for me while I was at work. When I came home I do what I always do which is check the ends of the rolls first to see if there are any goodies and save those rolls for last. One was a Brinks box and there wasn't anything good on the ends of those rolls. The other box was rolled at the bank (they have a large rolling machine on site). When I checked the ends of those rolls there were about 15 that had some pre-60's showing so I had a feeling it would be good....but never this good. Between the 2 boxes I got 332 pre-60's and 3 war nickels. I know its not as good as silver, but it was the most fun I've had CRHing in a long time. I attached the pics of the pile and another of the pile organized by date starting with the 30's on the left moving to 1959. Enjoy!

War Nickels - 3
1938 - 1
1939 - 13
1940 - 53
1941 - 67
1942 - 9
1946 - 50
1947 - 33
1948 - 23
1949 - 23
1950 - 0
1951 - 2
1952 - 4
1953 - 6
1954 - 6
1955 - 7
1956 - 7
1957 - 2
1958 - 12
1959 - 14

-Codes
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1048.webp
    IMG_1048.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1049.webp
    IMG_1049.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
Nice! Doing nickels this evening also but not quite having the luck you did. If I could get 1 buff and a few wars I would be happy... Any key dates in there?
 
Incredible nickel score. Man there has been some great scores lately. Good job

Golden Silver
 
When doing nickles what are the keepers?

I am ignorant when it comes to nickles.

The vast majority are not silver. Why keeping them?

Please advise

Darth Walker
 
thats one hell of haul. thats why i like nickles. there's almost always something to keep :thumbsup:
If I could get 1 buff and a few wars I would be happy...
the very first time i did nickles i went to a bank in a small town. i asked for $40 dollars worth. i was just sampling to see how many customer rolls i could get. the theory was that the bank will give out the customer rolls first and then the machine rolls. i wanted the customer rolls. i think about half were customer rolls and thats where the finds were. i found
3 buffalos 1920,1929,and a no date. 2 war nicks 1943p,1944p, 28 pre 1960's and 1 1999 Canadian.
pretty good finds all at once. go for the customer rolls, i bet you find some goodies soon.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Nice! Doing nickels this evening also but not quite having the luck you did. If I could get 1 buff and a few wars I would be happy... Any key dates in there?

Nope, no key dates. :(

Darth Walker said:
When doing nickles what are the keepers?

The vast majority are not silver. Why keeping them?

Keepers for me are anything before 1960; hence the term pre-60's. I keep them mainly because I am trying to build as large of a collection of coins pulled from circulation as possible. Plus, the pre-'60 nickels have a lower mintage than most of the nickels minted after 1960.

-Codes
 
mistergee said:
thats one hell of haul. thats why i like nickles. there's almost always something to keep :thumbsup:

Thanks, mistergee. I ALWAYS pick up nickels when I pick up other denominations because I know there will be something there. Even though they aren't worth much at the time, I'm still saving them with the hope that I can pass something onto my kids that may have some value. I have seen a few rolls of pre-60's sell on feeBay but they didn't fetch much of a premium. Maybe someday. :tongue3:

-Codes
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom