🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL If someone handed me a $10,000.00 bill to deliver elsewhere,
Expect me to be Lost Also
:laughing7:

00AAA.jpg

The Pensacola journal. (Pensacola, Fla.), 06 Feb. 1910.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=211

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't carry one around it would be in my bank

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My luck you'd be reading about me in the news. Man pays for $1.25 cup of coffee with $10,000 bill" Circle K cashier disappears after claiming to have won $9998.75 on a scratcher, stay tuned for more.........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff,
I thought the article 'strange', so I did some research on the subject.
Here I have paraphrased from an article I reference below.

"YOUNGSTERS WERE VERY OFTEN TRUSTED WITH UP TO $100,000
The disappearanea of a $10,000 bill from the pocket of Benson Lang, a 17-year-old messenger boy, while on his way from the brokerage house of Hornblower & Weeks, at No. 41 Broadway, to the National City bank, was but an instance in a traffic in millions that is being carried on daily in the financial district with no more security than the pockets of youngsters whose ages generally range from 5 to 11 years old.

Yet with all the temptation put before these youths , the instances of misappropriation are exceedingly rare. One boy will frequently handle a million dollars in checks, cash and security. The idea that a messenger boy should be trusted with such a sum of money may seem strange to many persons who are not familiar with it; but in Wall street such transaction are not unusual. Some of them carry large fortunes in money, bonds, jewels and securities as the average mortal would carry a cake of soap. Boys aresent to other cities. Messengers carrying thousands of dollars In securities also travel every week day up and down town in the elevated and subway. Boys are even sent to Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago with large sums. A boy will take a.million dollars in bonds to Philadelphia at an expense much less than what an express company wouldl charge.

The boys regularly employed as messengers by banks gel from $1 to $15 a week. They are known as runners. Each downtown messenger office has a number of boys who are called "trusties" by their companions.They are the ones who regularly carry funds. They are carefully selected. Great care is taken In their selection, so that none but those of absolute respectability and good character are ever engaged. Their pay is no greater than that of the any who delivers a. letter. They are supposed to earn 30 cents per hour for the company, out of which they get 15 cents for themselves. If they hustle and do two errands within that time the company gets 60 cents and they get 30 cents. At the bank the boy must stand in line; yet responsible for a sum of $10,000 or upward-- for a remuneration of 15 cents. "
Don.......
Source:
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=LAH19100312.2.129.21.6.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions