- Joined
- Dec 6, 2010
- Messages
- 659
- Reaction score
- 886
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- SC Lowcountry
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
- Primary Interest:
- Shipwrecks
- #1
Thread Owner
Was going though my father's stuff and found some things that got me into our hobby back in 94.
I was visiting my folks in Central Florida and we visited a friend of theirs that owned a springs nearby. While we were swimming in the springs the gentlemen who owned it told me if I was lucky I might find a very valuable ruby ring one of his guests lost. I asked him if it was ok that I look for it on my next visit to my folks so I could bring my scuba gear and he said sure.
Next time I was down my folks surprised me with a used Fisher 1280X and we went to the springs. I was finding all sorts of things, paper thin mercury dimes with a gray sparkly crust on them, these annoying lead barrels that would give a good signal but go through my hand scoop. Found a few rings, two ladies class rings (1937 and 1975) that we could never find the owners on. A large men's crudded up ring with that same sparkly gray crust. I ran it on electrolysis and the crud cleaned right off. The ring still had it's stone in it but the stone was missing an attachment as seen by two holes. The letters KA are on either side. I cannot make out what the makers mark is on the inside. The ring weighs 11.15 grams without the stone, 10K or something else? The stone weighs 1.7 grams, light does not penetrate it so black Onyx? I have no clue what KA stand for, maybe an Academy?
Never did find that Ruby ring but found out that Boy Scouts camped out around that spring back in the 40s by the coins and BS items I dug. Best thing I found was Metal detecting as a hobby!
I was visiting my folks in Central Florida and we visited a friend of theirs that owned a springs nearby. While we were swimming in the springs the gentlemen who owned it told me if I was lucky I might find a very valuable ruby ring one of his guests lost. I asked him if it was ok that I look for it on my next visit to my folks so I could bring my scuba gear and he said sure.
Next time I was down my folks surprised me with a used Fisher 1280X and we went to the springs. I was finding all sorts of things, paper thin mercury dimes with a gray sparkly crust on them, these annoying lead barrels that would give a good signal but go through my hand scoop. Found a few rings, two ladies class rings (1937 and 1975) that we could never find the owners on. A large men's crudded up ring with that same sparkly gray crust. I ran it on electrolysis and the crud cleaned right off. The ring still had it's stone in it but the stone was missing an attachment as seen by two holes. The letters KA are on either side. I cannot make out what the makers mark is on the inside. The ring weighs 11.15 grams without the stone, 10K or something else? The stone weighs 1.7 grams, light does not penetrate it so black Onyx? I have no clue what KA stand for, maybe an Academy?
Never did find that Ruby ring but found out that Boy Scouts camped out around that spring back in the 40s by the coins and BS items I dug. Best thing I found was Metal detecting as a hobby!







