Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Been re-doing some of my artifact displays recently, and decided to put some 1600s buckles together in a nice wooden case. This will do for now, but eventually I'd like to put together a professional display of these buckles with labels including type, date range, etc., for the many varieties I've recovered over the years. Aside from silver coins, early buckles just might be my 2nd favorite colonial artifact to recover. Feel free to click and zoom in for better detail as its a large file.

Attachments

• 1600s buckle display.jpg
    1600s buckle display.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 512
Upvote 9

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love this picture Bill :icon_thumright: That's an incredible collection that represents years of hard work in some of the earliest possible sites. Excellent picture too and fun to zoom in and look at everything.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate you posting this. It is inspiring to see.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's one gorgeous display Bill- I find myself switching between grouping similar aged digs together and organizing by site recovered. Either way that's a lot of VA history

I used to do it that way too Jon, and I still have the documentation so I know where everything came from, but I thought it would be more impressive to display all of one type of artifact together. My new book will have many similar photos.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great display! Quite the collection. Looking close I can see some intricate detail on several of the buckles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigBoom

Feb 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-trac,
Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's jaw dropping nice :icon_thumright:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Youve definately got some quantity with some quality specimens. I guess Ill just have to settle for quality as these are the only complete 1600s ones I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    676.4 KB · Views: 116

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill you are such a show off lol. That is a jaw dropping collection. You do realize I have zero spectacle buckles. Only 3 17th century maybe. Not sure I've ever seen a spectacle from Maine. Could that ha e been a regional thing? Like you and all your silver coins....and me and all my ugly copper coins

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I've seen you dig other 17th varieties that aren't in that display. For example, the one I texted you yesterday is 17th century according to the CJ's Buckles reference page and I know you've dug plenty of them. Also, another one that comes to mind is the buckle with the initials on the chape. That one is late 17th century.

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill you are such a show off lol. That is a jaw dropping collection. You do realize I have zero spectacle buckles. Only 3 17th century maybe. Not sure I've ever seen a spectacle from Maine. Could that ha e been a regional thing? Like you and all your silver coins....and me and all my ugly copper coins

Abe, there have been spectacle buckles dug in the northeast but the most I've seen were dug in Virginia and Maryland. All the more reason we need a database similar to the U.K. one. Work on that please...chop chop

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I've seen you dig other 17th varieties that aren't in that display. For example, the one I texted you yesterday is 17th century according to the CJ's Buckles reference page and I know you've dug plenty of them. Also, another one that comes to mind is the buckle with the initials on the chaps. That one is late 17th century.

So there's more???? Least surprising thing I'll hear today. Cmon Bill let's see the other 400

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So there's more???? Least surprising thing I'll hear today. Cmon Bill let's see the other 400

That's all I could fit into the case man .... :laughing7:.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an awesome display. My oldest buckle is iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread