1739 King George II Half Penny (defaced), 2 Buttons, Skeleton Key, Silver Plated Copper Rosette, 40-82 WCF Case

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date is tough to read but this KGII young head was made between 1729-1739. What a strange looking coin. Not only condition, also the color. I've found around a dozen of these to date (vs. only three KGI). Typically heavily worn from a shortage of small change, but never clipped or defaced. This one not only looks intentionally defaced, the throat appears slit with heavy scratches. It's all conjecture on my part, but it's notable that during the reign of KGII there was some animosity towards him from the local inhabitants of my town. The British conscripted settlers from Eastern Long Island, NY to fight at Ft. Ticonderoga during the French and Indian War. The written accounts state that the Brits treated the locals like dogs and cannon fodder. So much so, that by the time of the American Revolution, some locals were ready for pay back.

Otherwise a bunch of misc. farm stuff. Layers of 1700's colonial thru Antebellum thru Civil War. Lots of stuff not worth posting. Most of this site is covered by heavy brush so who knows what is buried there. I'm swinging between bushes while flicking ticks off. Even though the site has great potential, I have already planned to detect a mature forest site free from brush miles away this weekend.

Attachments

• tres440.jpg
    tres440.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 86
  • tres447.jpg
    tres447.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 55
  • tres442.jpg
    tres442.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date is tough to read but this KGII young head was made between 1729-1739. What a strange looking coin. Not only condition, also the color. I've found around a dozen of these to date (vs. only three KGI). Typically heavily worn from a shortage of small change, but never clipped or defaced. This one not only looks intentionally defaced, the throat appears slit with heavy scratches. It's all conjecture on my part, but it's notable that during the reign of KGII there was some animosity towards him from the local inhabitants of my town. The British conscripted settlers from Eastern Long Island, NY to fight at Ft. Ticonderoga during the French and Indian War. The written accounts state that the Brits treated the locals like dogs and cannon fodder. So much so, that by the time of the American Revolution, some locals were ready for pay back.

Otherwise a bunch of misc. farm stuff. Layers of 1700's colonial thru Antebellum thru Civil War. Lots of stuff not worth posting. Most of this site is covered by heavy brush so who knows what is buried there. I'm swinging between bushes while flicking ticks off. Even though the site has great potential, I have already planned to detect a mature forest site free from brush miles away this weekend.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
permethrin is your friend with creepy crawly stuff on clothes BEFORE heading out on a hunt in Central Texas. That is a cool recovery, and sounds like a GREAT site...in October/November weather.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions