What's new

1778 Louis XVI! Colonial-WWI RELIC Clean up

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got out to a few different sites this weekend and the range of digs certainly reflects it. Site one involved a long drive out to DownNDirty's neck of the woods, second was a fond fairwell to the watermelon patch with DirtStalker & Twin Picks, and finally a revisit to my favorite low tide location. Out of Glenn's site I managed a few military digs among a mountain of shotgun shells- CW Naval Coat button and an Enfield trigger guard.

P2280195.webpP2280196.webp20160227_200953.webp20160227_201008.webpP2280197.webpP2280198.webp

The button is listed in Albert's books as #NA 81.

Also from the CW site was this copper whazit- I've seen these before but can't remember the ID. Help is appreciated

P2280209.webp

Also managed 2 decorative bosses/leather ornaments

P2280191.webpP2280192.webp

From the ole' WP I managed a few flat buttons, religious pendant, and a few round balls. Also pulled an interesting surface find- a partial 1870s Holloway's ointment cure all jar.

P2280199.webpP2280208.webpP2280207.webpP2280188.webpP2280189.webpP2280190.webp

Intact it would have looked like this one-

il_570xN.874147326_ojhu.webpil_570xN.874147446_4pd8.webp

At my coastal site I dug a New York Button City Works great seal button (Pre 1924). No clue how it got there but in great shape.

P2280193.webpP2280194.webp

The post title was certainly my favorite dig of the weekend- an 1778 Louis XVI Liard! I can count on 1 hand the number of colonial coppers I've recovered in SC so this one was certainly a surprise...and French! Given that it was minted during the American Revolution make its even cooler for me.

20160228_144529.webp20160228_144517.webpP2280203.webpP2280205.webp

In mint shape it would have resembled this one-

combined50646.webp

All in all a great weekend with a wide array of history recovered from the dirt. Thanks for looking

P2280186.webpP2280187.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 44
Enjoyed our excursions Saturday-three sites in one plus the drive for you=one long day. Glad you were able to find a couple of CW relics & that Liard is pretty awesome. But all of your finds over the weekend don't hold a candle to my best from Saturday lol
2016-02-28 21 54 36_resized.webp
 
Love that 1778 Louis XVI coin. All really great finds. I would trade my weekend for yours any day brother.
 
Enjoyed our excursions Saturday-three sites in one plus the drive for you=one long day. Glad you were able to find a couple of CW relics & that Liard is pretty awesome. But all of your finds over the weekend don't hold a candle to my best from Saturday lol
View attachment 1279567

That baby ring is a family heirloom!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom