What's new

1800s golf club

borntohunt460

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2013
Messages
254
Reaction score
416
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's golf club

Never expected this which I found at a very old house about 10 inches deep. Lots of goodies have come out of this yard so I didn't pay it much attention. I gave it to a guy at work that likes golf and he buffed it up removing the green patina. (This isn't a coin guys---- I like how it looks better now and to my knowledge isn't priceless or anything lol) Doing a little research this looks right in line with victorian clubs. It even had a piece of hickory still pinned in place. The mark is SGC Mcoy as best I can tell with something written below. Haven't found anything on this maker

I know this is for digs only but I couldn't resist adding this addendum of a tray I bought for 5 dollars at a garage sale Saturday. Real life treasure also!
 

Attachments

  • 1465870672322.webp
    1465870672322.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 1465870685249.webp
    1465870685249.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 1465870699909.webp
    1465870699909.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 1465870712389.webp
    1465870712389.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 20
Congrats on your golf finds and what a treasure to display - thanks for sharing pictures of your finds and story with us - anyway I wish you many more great finds.

Texas ED
 
You've pulled off something I've been trying to figure out for years. How I play golf and metal detect at the same time! Congrats on a unique find.
 
S.G.C.M. Coy Ltd. Edinburgh, Scotland. (around 1900)
Don......

Wow ! I thought I was pretty handy with Google but still can't find anything. Where'd you get that info if I may ask?
 
Showed your find to a golf club collector and this was his response:

There was an SGC McCoy ltd of Edinburgh, making golf clubs, although i can't find the dates of trading. Hickory shafts went out of fashion in the mid 1920's. Lines on the faces of golf clubs came in around 1910. The smooth face on the club would suggest around 1900. Views in the hickory world are divided on how polished an old club should be. A little overdone for my personal taste - still a good find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom