What's new

1840 Dime

  • Thread starter Thread starter backbonz
  • Start date Start date
B

backbonz

Guest
Found 2 weeks ago near a church. Appears to be in nice condition. Any experts will to estimate a value?
 

Attachments

  • 1840front.webp
    1840front.webp
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,418
  • 1840back.webp
    1840back.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,382
Upvote 0
1840-O

I would say it's an Easy $40.00 Coin.

Maby more.

NICE

Jeff
 
Very nice! Awsome.
 
Here's the (2002) Redbook stats: (Not sure if the value has shifted upwards since, but it should be very close)

There were approximately 1,175,000 1840 Liberty Seated Dimes minted.

Condition/Value:
G-4 = 9.50
F-12 = 18.00
VF-29 = 37.50
EF-40 = 80.00
MS-60 = 900.00

Yours looks to be at least in the Very Fine category...
 
Very nice coin. I would have to disagree with the post above on one thing tho. I would grade it as an XF. Congrats!! HH
 
wayne1956 said:
Very nice coin.? I would have to disagree with the post above on one thing tho.? I would grade it as an XF.? Congrats!!? HH

I'd say probably not quite EF but a little closer to that than VF... I'd say it would grade out at about 35, approx a $50 coin, or at least that's what you'd probably get for it on ebay... a dealer would want to give you half that...

Tone would have to be a bit better to get into the EF IMHO
 
I dont have a guess but I do have an opinion, that is a beautiful dug coin!
 
That coin looks in fantastic shape....good luck

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY
 
Wow!!!
That's a great looking coin,,, Congrats!
 
I've looked at this post a number of times not knowing what to say other than that is one beautiful dime!
I keep comming back just to look at it again.
I would probably wear it out showing it to all my friends.
 
GREAT Find.

I would grade at EF (or XF, whichever you prefer) which would put it's current value at app. $125.00.

It's a "keeper" !!

;)
 
are you interested in selling it ?? im thinkin its in $100 condition
 
thanks for the comments and interest. Im not really interested in selling the coin.
One question, wouldnt this be considered "with drapery"??
 
Since it is an 1840 O(new orleans) It is considered NO DRAPERY. No 1840 O's were minted "with drapery". By the pictures, I would call it EF-40, but ,only if it does not show evidence of ANY cleaning. As far as the value, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Still, a very nice find! HH SmokeEater
 
Ok, now im confused. This is clearly a Liberty with drapery. What am i missing here. ??? ???
 
Here's some pics to compare, look under her left elbow.
 

Attachments

  • with drapery.webp
    with drapery.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,653
  • no drapery.webp
    no drapery.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,628
Coin Prices Magazine (used by all dealers) Issue Jan. 2006 1840-0 No Drapery VF $70.00 XF $125.00. Easy $100.00 coin. She's beauty.
Spotz
 
I have to go with XF. My fear is that if you cleaned it . . . cut the value in half. Looks awfully good to be a "dug" coin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom