1840s Mahogany Fiddle Case

Greg613

Greenie
Jun 20, 2008
Atlanta
1840's Mahogany Fiddle Case

I picked this up at an auction a couple years ago (actually Gallery 63 if anyone watches Auction Kings on Discovery). It is a mahogany fiddle case purportedly made around the 1840's. It evidently came from the estate of a musician/civil war collector. I have no way to verify the age, so it could have been made in the 1940's for all I know. But, I thought it was cool and the price was right, so I picked it up. I thought some on here may enjoy checking it out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1840's Mahogany Fiddle Case

That is a nice box, and those nails do appear to be very old!

That's not the original violin, is it?

OP
OP
G

Greg613

Greenie
Jun 20, 2008
Atlanta
Re: 1840's Mahogany Fiddle Case

It came with the case, but I don't think it is that old. There is no label, so I really have the other clues to look at. The chin rest is plastic, which that could be a modern replacement. But, the wood itself doesn't really have much patina to it. So, I don't think it is that old or valuable.

BoonvilleKid

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2014
Boonville, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Eagle Spectrum
Minelab Explorer
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad some of the items that would have been in the original case are now gone: clips to hold the bow, tray to hold tuner and rosin, etc. But, it's still an interesting old case. And, yes it is very old. Would be very interesting to know who "L. S." was, wouldn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread