Scrappy
Gold Member
- Joined
- Mar 6, 2014
- Messages
- 9,215
- Reaction score
- 14,047
- Golden Thread
- 7
- Location
- 17th century
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 7
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
- Primary Interest:
- Other
Just received a green light for a new permission around the corner from me in NJ. So I spent an hour there. I believe the house dates between 1800-1840 but I cannot find information so I'm letting my finds guide me.
The find of the day was a 1844 Bank token from Canada. Bank of Montreal specifically. The history behind these is similar to many other times of token minting. A shortage of small change in lower Canada forced banks to mint their own small coinage.
Believe it or not a Canadian token was on my list. Check!.



She's shot and didn't stand a chance but I tried. The details were just so fine on that one.
Overall I found a few keepers. A bent and torched IHP, reign guide, and flat button rounded things out






Enjoy and good digs

Steve
The find of the day was a 1844 Bank token from Canada. Bank of Montreal specifically. The history behind these is similar to many other times of token minting. A shortage of small change in lower Canada forced banks to mint their own small coinage.
Believe it or not a Canadian token was on my list. Check!.



She's shot and didn't stand a chance but I tried. The details were just so fine on that one.
Overall I found a few keepers. A bent and torched IHP, reign guide, and flat button rounded things out







Enjoy and good digs

Steve
Last edited:
Upvote
20
I really like the token. I never knew about the Canadian tokens until I dug one last September. Mine was a half penny from the Bank of Upper Canada dated 1854. How big is the site? It's always nice to have a local site that's producing. Saves on gas and travel time,= more time swinging the coil.







