What's new

1857 Upper Bank of Canada Half- Penny Token

SaginawIan

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
679
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I found it about 4 inches deep in the middle of the woods in Michigan. I understand that this was used as currency in Canada before government issued coins and prior to the decimal system being in place.

Ian
 

Attachments

  • 1857CA1.webp
    1857CA1.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 1857CA2.webp
    1857CA2.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0
Great coin Ian...I found an 1844 from Bank of Montreal near Grand Blanc.
Is your coin Copper? I believe the one I found was pewter?....joe
 
jopher - ever wonder how a coin ends up where you find it? Seems like the one you found and this one are a little out of place in mid michigan??

Ian
 
SaginawIan said:
jopher - ever wonder how a coin ends up where you find it? Seems like the one you found and this one are a little out of place in mid michigan??

Ian
Yeh...I hear ya.The nieghboring foundation produced an 1855 belt plate and a 1775 King George copper??.....not complainin...Joe
 
Wow, you found a 1775 coin in this area? That's cool. Is that your oldest coin in Michigan? I never thought that something like that would be around here. 1857 is the oldest for me. I know a guy that works for DNR that says he knows of a few foundations that he would take me to in the Orion Twp area. I'm hoping that I can find a large cent this year, I have yet to find one. Ever find one of those around here?

Ian
 
Wow, that is probably the coolest Canadian coin found in Michigan! Fantastic Find! J.
 
That coin is just really cool looking even if it were worth nothing at all I would like it! :D
 
The very first farm field find I had was a Canadian bank token like yours.

From what I have read about - Canadian coins were equal value dollar for dollar up until the 1920's of so and they circulated here in Michigan quite a bit.

Great find by the way.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)
 
Decimal in the UK didn't start until 1967. When did it start in Canada?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom