What's new

Farm Field Hunt – Three Coin Day

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,018
Reaction score
28,167
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I first detected this field in 2014, at that time the soil was turned annually. The farmer switched to ‘no till’ in 2018, since then the finds have been far less in quantity and quality. But hey, beggars can’t be choosers right. :laughing7: I arrived here at 5:30am on Sunday morning knowing that it was going to be another sweltering day. I lasted until 9:30 but had to call it quits due to the heat and my knee pain. My first find was the ‘holed’ Tiffen Token, then the Agriculture Token and finally the George V Canada Dime. I found the toy cap gun in the yard of a house down the road; I think there may have been a root through the trigger guard when I popped it out. The quartz rock was ‘glowing purple’ in the sunlight in the farm field, so I brought it home.

1812 Tiffin Half Penny Token.
These thin lightweight tokens were imported into Canada, c1832 by Joseph Tiffin, a Montreal grocer. They bore the date 1812 to evade the laws forbidding the importation of tokens into Canada.

1918 Canada Silver Dime.
Featuring King George V, this coin is 92.5% silver. It was minted during World War I and is a tangible example of Canadian currency from that era.

1837 Agriculture & Commerce Lower Canada Un Sou Half Penny Token.
This series of tokens were created for use primarily within Lower Canada in the mid-1830s. They were roughly equivalent in value to a Half Penny, the "bouquet sou" were so called because they displayed a group of heraldic flowers tied together with a ribbon on their obverse. They were initially issued by the banks of Lower Canada and were later imitated by speculators who produced tokens that looked similar but were underweight for their denomination. In both Lower and Upper Canada in the early 19th century, there was little in the way of circulating coinage, and merchants struggled to use what coinage there was available that came in a variety of denominations from numerous countries, including, England, the United States and Mexico. To remedy this situation, the Bank of Montreal issued the first bouquet sou token in July 1835. They were minted in New York State, and about 500,000 pieces were created.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

20250519_115858.webp
20250707_180651.webp
20250707_203425.webp
20250629_085315_resized.webp
20250629_085525_resized.webp
20250706_073127_resized.webp
20250706_073401_resized.webp
20250706_074016_resized.webp
20250706_074344_resized.webp
20250706_142210_resized.webp
20250706_160103.webp
20250706_160144_resized.webp
20250707_170825.webp
20250706_160227_resized.webp
20250707_170850_resized.webp
20250706_161311_resized.webp
20250707_171113_resized.webp
20250706_161321_resized.webp
20250707_171034_resized.webp
20250706_161210_resized.webp
20250706_161242_resized.webp
20250707_170957_resized.webp
20250707_170916_resized.webp
 
Upvote 36
You did outstanding :) Great pictures !!! Why do you think they was in the place you marked ?
 
Thank you for the token origin information. They are really interesting to me. I've found s few.
The hole is odd. It looks like a brittle failure. Maybe the brass is worked to the brittle state and it was hit by a bullet. But still the hole shape is odd.
All the finds are interesting to see and read about.
 
SWEET Hunt! Congrats!!! :headbang: :hello2: :occasion14:
Thank you Terry, I appreciate your post. :thumbsup:
Dave

Hi
Outstanding post with great detail
Thanks for sharing
Hi Bill,
Thanks very much... I think I may need to reduce my picture size a bit though. :laughing7:
Dave

Very nice finds! Does the silt fence mean they are about to bulldoze the beautiful place?
Thanks for your post Gene.
The field I was hunting is scheduled for residential development next year. The developer has plans to save a dozen or so of these 19thc farmhouses, but most have just been left uninhabited to rot for the past 15 - 20 years. So who knows... technically they're protected by heritage laws here in Ontario, but to-date not one of them has been restored. :dontknow:

You did outstanding :) Great pictures !!! Why do you think they was in the place you marked ?
Hey Gare, the area that I highlighted in green is the area where everything was found. As I mentioned in my intro, I've been detecting this 2 acre section at least twice a year for the past 11 years.

Thank you for the token origin information. They are really interesting to me. I've found s few.
The hole is odd. It looks like a brittle failure. Maybe the brass is worked to the brittle state and it was hit by a bullet. But still the hole shape is odd.
All the finds are interesting to see and read about.
Hi Almy, Thanks for sharing your theory about this token possibly being used as target practice. I'm thinking it was more likely used as a washer for something. These were very thin lightweight tokens that likely wore out quickly and were either dis-guarded or easily lost due to their weight. I've found at least 10 of these in farm fields over the past 15 years. Thanks for your post... I miss visiting Atlantic Canada, as I'm there in the spring and fall each year. :sunny:
 
Hi Dave
Your pictures are amazing
Thanks for sharing
 
Those are some real nice recoveries Dave, love the gun, congrats!
Sorry to hear the knee is giving you grief.
Thanks for your post my friend.
The other day, I was looking at that silver ring you sent me a few years back.
Hope you're keeping cool. :sunny:
Dave

Excellent finds - congrats !
Thanks E-Trac. :thumbsup:
Hope you're doing well in OH.

Dave, a beggar?:notworthy: Never! Nice saves, research, and cleaning.
Thanks bud.
I was going to head out detecting to a local school tomorrow, but it's to darn hot here.
Hope you're doing well,
Dave

Hi Dave
Your pictures are amazing
Thanks for sharing
Thanks for your post Bill.
I appreciate you posting.
Dave

Nice finds, I like that 10 Cent piece and the Cap gun.
Thanks very much, this is the first silver coin I've found in over three years. :thumbsup:
It hit at 86 on my Deus, I thought it was just going to be another flat button.
Best of luck to you,
Dave
 
Thanks bud.
I was going to head out detecting to a local school tomorrow, but it's to darn hot here.
Hope you're doing well,
Dave
Dave,

Doing well enough. Braved 90+ yesterday for 7 hours. Didn't find much but it was a great weight loss program!
 
Dave,

Doing well enough. Braved 90+ yesterday for 7 hours. Didn't find much but it was a great weight loss program!
I hear you bud. :laughing7:
 
Great hunt
Love the token history
 
I would be proud to have found any of those old items There is a lot of history there And the variety of what you got says come on back for more later . Good luck
 
I first detected this field in 2014, at that time the soil was turned annually. The farmer switched to ‘no till’ in 2018, since then the finds have been far less in quantity and quality. But hey, beggars can’t be choosers right. :laughing7: I arrived here at 5:30am on Sunday morning knowing that it was going to be another sweltering day. I lasted until 9:30 but had to call it quits due to the heat and my knee pain. My first find was the ‘holed’ Tiffen Token, then the Agriculture Token and finally the George V Canada Dime. I found the toy cap gun in the yard of a house down the road; I think there may have been a root through the trigger guard when I popped it out. The quartz rock was ‘glowing purple’ in the sunlight in the farm field, so I brought it home.

1812 Tiffin Half Penny Token.
These thin lightweight tokens were imported into Canada, c1832 by Joseph Tiffin, a Montreal grocer. They bore the date 1812 to evade the laws forbidding the importation of tokens into Canada.

1918 Canada Silver Dime.
Featuring King George V, this coin is 92.5% silver. It was minted during World War I and is a tangible example of Canadian currency from that era.

1837 Agriculture & Commerce Lower Canada Un Sou Half Penny Token.
This series of tokens were created for use primarily within Lower Canada in the mid-1830s. They were roughly equivalent in value to a Half Penny, the "bouquet sou" were so called because they displayed a group of heraldic flowers tied together with a ribbon on their obverse. They were initially issued by the banks of Lower Canada and were later imitated by speculators who produced tokens that looked similar but were underweight for their denomination. In both Lower and Upper Canada in the early 19th century, there was little in the way of circulating coinage, and merchants struggled to use what coinage there was available that came in a variety of denominations from numerous countries, including, England, the United States and Mexico. To remedy this situation, the Bank of Montreal issued the first bouquet sou token in July 1835. They were minted in New York State, and about 500,000 pieces were created.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

View attachment 2215845View attachment 2215846View attachment 2215847View attachment 2215848View attachment 2215849View attachment 2215850View attachment 2215851View attachment 2215852View attachment 2215853View attachment 2215854View attachment 2215855View attachment 2215856View attachment 2215857View attachment 2215858View attachment 2215859View attachment 2215860View attachment 2215861View attachment 2215862View attachment 2215863View attachment 2215864View attachment 2215865View attachment 2215866View attachment 2215867
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom