1860s 1-2-3 cent pocket spill

cornman

Jan 1, 2007
1860's 1-2-3 cent pocket spill

Last Thursday it was too wet to plant anything here in NW Ohio, so my son Tom and I hunted a local farm house where I had found a 1830 large cent a month ago.
Had an unreal day! Tom found 4 IH and a V nickel. I found 6 IH - one of which was all hammered up with a hole punched in it. Also a 1856 Napoleon III French coin - why here?
My favorite finds were an 1868 2 cent coin and an 1869 3 cent nickel! The three 1860's coins were all in the same hole, about 6 inches down, right in the front yard. The IH and the 2 cent were face to face, causing the coloration on the IH. When I twisted the core of dirt apart, they both fell out onto the grass and "clinked" together. I knew what the IH was, but didn't know what the other coin was until I saw the 2 on it. Like a good boy, I (luckily) ran the rest of the dirt in my hands past the coil, there was another one in there! I had high hopes it was old too, and was shocked to find it with a III on it. What a strange old pocket spill. I still can't believe it.
Also found a cast eagle head, perhaps a cane head, or maybe a flag pole top? Not sure what it is made of, perhaps copper.

Attachments

• one-two-three1.jpg
    one-two-three1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,100
  • one-two-three2.jpg
    one-two-three2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • two-cent1.jpg
    two-cent1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,080
  • two-cent2.jpg
    two-cent2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • Six-Indians1.jpg
    Six-Indians1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Six-Indians2.jpg
    Six-Indians2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,081
  • French1.jpg
    French1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,091
  • french2.jpg
    french2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,089
Upvote 0

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Re: 1860's 1-2-3 cent pocket spill

Wow, that 2-center is unbelievable!
All those finds are awesome!
You scored a VERY WIDE variety there.
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome digs! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, great pocket spill!! :thumbsup: Congratulations on all of those great coins you found!

Steve

OP
OP
C

cornman

Jan 1, 2007

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.
Thanks tymcmurray and ringfinder for the info on the eagle head! :thumbsup:
Would have never dreamed that it was from a saddle. Wow, I am even more excited over that find!
It's days like that one that makes this hobby so addicting and fun.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
In the interest of accuracy, and keeping identifications true for the sake of those whom use this forum as a research tool, and a resource for the identification of finds, I will have to strongly disagree on the cast brass eagle head being Civil War, military, or saddle affiliated.

These were mounted to the fronts of sleighs, are recovered all over the country, and probably generally date to the last half of the 19th century.

The Civil War attribution has been erroneously floating around for years, but 'North South Trader's Civil War' magazine had a short write up some time ago about these specific pieces, and it was determined that they were not of Civil War military vintage.

They even included a picture of one on a sleigh.

I will look tomorrow for the article and picture, but of this I.D. I am certain. They are neat pieces of Victorian brass work, and striking to look at, but they are purely civilian.

I am sorry to see 'American Digger' continuing to forsake scholarly research and presentation. This matter was cleared up long ago in serious circles.

I know you know a lot about everything, but I have a picture of the Eagle Pummel on a saddle, if you look at this site maybe it will broaden your knowledge about Saddle Pummels. I only know what I have been told and from this site, it shows the Saddle pummel on a SADDLE.

http://www.keithssaddleshop.com/saddles.htm

Best Regards,
Ringfinder

P.S. On the cover of the American Digger Magazine, they featured items about or with eagles on them. I don't think they misinformed anyone. It was just a cover for their magazine, with some very nice relics on it.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

We see very few silver III cent pieces here in the forum, but I don't remember seeing a nickel one for a very long time.

Congrats on a great hunt!
Neil

CWKEITH1

Dec 18, 2008

great finds the 2 center looks to be very nice keep up the good work keith

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

congratulations on a great day of detecting!! what beautiful coins! there must have been a visitor from France at that site!! i was thrilled to see the eagle head- i found one last nov. in WV and was happy to have it IDed by buckleboy who pointed me to ringfinder's thread from his find of the same! it is maybe my favorite relic!! way to go!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's an awesome pocket spill CM.....The saddle piece look's excactly like the one Ty posted....Big Congrat's!!!! :thumbsup:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
ringfinder said:
plehbah said:
In the interest of accuracy, and keeping identifications true for the sake of those whom use this forum as a research tool, and a resource for the identification of finds, I will have to strongly disagree on the cast brass eagle head being Civil War, military, or saddle affiliated.

These were mounted to the fronts of sleighs, are recovered all over the country, and probably generally date to the last half of the 19th century.

The Civil War attribution has been erroneously floating around for years, but 'North South Trader's Civil War' magazine had a short write up some time ago about these specific pieces, and it was determined that they were not of Civil War military vintage.

They even included a picture of one on a sleigh.

I will look tomorrow for the article and picture, but of this I.D. I am certain. They are neat pieces of Victorian brass work, and striking to look at, but they are purely civilian.

I am sorry to see 'American Digger' continuing to forsake scholarly research and presentation. This matter was cleared up long ago in serious circles.

I know you know a lot about everything, but I have a picture of the Eagle Pummel on a saddle, if you look at this site maybe it will broaden your knowledge about Saddle Pummels. I only know what I have been told and from this site, it shows the Saddle pummel on a SADDLE.

http://www.keithssaddleshop.com/saddles.htm

Best Regards,
Ringfinder

P.S. On the cover of the American Digger Magazine, they featured items about or with eagles on them. I don't think they misinformed anyone. It was just a cover for their magazine, with some very nice relics on it.

I appreciate your reply, and the link you provided. The picture in the link is of a similar eagle head item on a modern saddle, while claiming a Civil War provenance. This is what got the situation started in the first place.

I have seen pictures of these exact items on antique sleighs. I can see someone putting them on saddles and saying they are from the Civil War, I cannot see someone taking them off of Civil War saddles and putting them on old sleighs.

It will take me awhile to search through the mountain of back issues, but I am certain of the pictures I have seen in the magazine in response to reports that these were Civil War related. The magazine is the preeminent magazine/journal for collectors and historians of the American Civil War. It is the most scholarly publication available, and it is also an organic user created document with contributing parties considered very knowledgeable, and their submissions available for peer review. Until the I.D. in that publication is disputed, I will be needing substantial evidence to convince me that I am anything other than a crook if I tried to sell an identical item to someone as a Civil War military item.

Now I have to find the back issue!

The eagle head is an awesome piece of Victorian era decorative cast brass. It is just not an American Civil War cavalry piece.

Here is a link to something similar, but not by any means identical, jsut to show what I am talking about:

http://woodrivercarriage.com/parts.htm

I find your response very interesting. It reminds me of sleigh bells. They were used in Roman times and are still being used now as door bells, sleigh bells for horses, I bet you can even find them on Carriages and Sleighs. What I'm trying to say, is the Eagle could have been used on many things. It could have been used as a Cane topper, Horse Saddle pummel, on a
Carriage, on a Sleigh, maybe a door knob, who knows or they could have just been thrown away, so some lucky guy metal detecting could find it and they could have been made for many, many years. I really don't know, I haven't seen a patent number. If I find one, maybe someone could look and see when they were first made!!!

I do find it interesting that the fellow in Surgarcreek Ohio, remakes saddles and this is what he wrote about the Saddle pummel. Handmade by Keith Travis in Sugarcreek, Ohio
This unique saddle was created using an old Eagle Head taken from a military saddle, built back in the 1860's. A new tree was modified, and the eagle replaced the horn. The wings on the swell were overlaid, and sewn on. The star border was chosen to give the saddle a patriotic theme.

I'm certainly not an expert, nor will I ever be. I guess I'll just have my view and you can have yours. As for selling the Eagle, I probably won't, guess it will be in my estate when I die, and if your lucky, you can buy it in a quarter box at the auction :)

Best Regards,
Ringfinder

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

The eagle head was also used on swords, canes, and even Bowie knives.........
sleighs, saddles.
Whats the deal, they were obviously popular and used on a variety of
objects. I'll bet if you look hard enough, you'll find an eagle head handle
from a privy! LMAO!! It is what it is! Nice Find cornman!!

tseekerMike

Apr 20, 2009
St.Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ21-8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fabulous finds for sure. The eagle head is cool.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE

Wow, super digs. A two and three cent piece, amazing. You need a John Deere to help you plant the corn. Too wet here in Southern Illinois also, altough we did slip in a field here today before the rain.
JDD

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tymcmurray said:
The eagle head was also used on swords, canes, and even Bowie knives.........
sleighs, saddles.
Whats the deal, they were obviously popular and used on a variety of
objects. I'll bet if you look hard enough, you'll find an eagle head handle
from a privy! LMAO!! It is what it is! Nice Find cornman!!

That's a good one Ty ;D :D :wink: ::) :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
C

cornman

Jan 1, 2007

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments! That was a fun and memorable day.
I think what made this day of finds so special was that finding a 1 & 2 & 3 cent coin in one hole will never happen to me again.
I would expect to find a gold coin before that happens again.
I guess never say never, who can figure out this hobby!
Thanks for all the research on the eagle, I like it, whatever it is. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread