1868 Shield 5 Cent Piece Variety 2 Without Rays, 1864 Indian Head Penny, and 1942 D Merc Dime

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I detected away from my usual colonial hangouts to rustle up some easier to find coinage. Previously I had logged in two 6 hour days at the colonial sites without finding anything of merit. That was a letdown after finding a 1722 Rosa Americana and a 1700's cannon iron grape shot. Today I found my first ever Shield Nickel. Also my second recent 1864 IHP although my last one was the rarer version in VG condition. It makes sense as I have found a group of Civil War Naval Officer buttons nearby. Obviously a no longer existent homestead\farm from that era. Scored the 1942 D merc along a footpath.

I struggle finding Nickels because their 13 signal on the Nox 800 matches the brass bases of pre-1960 paper shotgun shells. I pass some of these signals up so I probably miss some nickels. (I've never detected a Buffalo, but I have looked at 100's of old shotgun shell brass bases). The shield nickels are strange because of the microscopic date. But that does not match the overall weirdness of the 1852 and 1853 silver Trimes I found months ago.

Attachments

• tres330.jpg
    tres330.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 119
  • tres331.jpg
    tres331.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 26
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I only had a nickel for every shotgun shell I've dug up. Since I detect the woods brass shell bases are my biggest pain. I'm more likely to dig up the fuzzy iron signals from rusty nails. Even though I would bet they are rusty nails. I confessed to my mother that I am not digging up all 13 signals. She forgave me.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I detected away from my usual colonial hangouts to rustle up some easier to find coinage. Previously I had logged in two 6 hour days at the colonial sites without finding anything of merit. That was a letdown after finding a 1722 Rosa Americana and a 1700's cannon iron grape shot. Today I found my first ever Shield Nickel. Also my second recent 1864 IHP although my last one was the rarer version in VG condition. It makes sense as I have found a group of Civil War Naval Officer buttons nearby. Obviously a no longer existent homestead\farm from that era. Scored the 1942 D merc along a footpath.

I struggle finding Nickels because their 13 signal on the Nox 800 matches the brass bases of pre-1960 paper shotgun shells. I pass some of these signals up so I probably miss some nickels. (I've never detected a Buffalo, but I have looked at 100's of old shotgun shell brass bases). The shield nickels are strange because of the microscopic date. But that does not match the overall weirdness of the 1852 and 1853 silver Trimes I found months ago.
The detail on the shield nickel is terrific, especially for having been buried for all this time. Excellent hunt, congrats!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also scored two horseshoes today. I find many. Photograph them and leave them.

Attachments

• 20221025_135527.jpg
    20221025_135527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20221025_092550.jpg
    20221025_092550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I gotta confess that I like the shotgun shell ends. Helps date it and such a variety! But nickels are better!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love the way those Shield nickels are numbered...great all around finds... I've got to get out more... congratulations 👍

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Go confess to your mom that 13's could also be gold rings and she'll take it back!
Awesome 16 cents, for sure, and thanks for the share.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go confess to your mom that 13's could also be gold rings and she'll take it back!
Awesome 16 cents, for sure, and thanks for the share.
Yes, it can get dicey gambling with those potential gold readings. Target audio pitch helps. My daughter was certainly happy I heard the gold signal on the gorgeous 1/2 carat diamond stud I found and gave to her this year. I've managed to pull some gold jewelry up, one piece 1700s. Also found a beautiful 1970 class ring from a private school but it was such a lump it pounded the low 20s. It fits me and I sometimes wear it. When my Manticore arrives I expect the new unit will sniff out gold, spell out gold on the screen, and draw a picture of it.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread