What's new

1887 Brooklyn Dog License

Dave2000

Full Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
105
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was my first signal of the morning-- 80-81 on the AT Pro, I initially thought it was a copper Lincoln (found lots at this site) but the signal was at about 8". Roots in the way made the recovery take quite a while.

It was so dirty at first that I thought it was just scrap. I actually forgot about it until I got back to my car, and then I brushed it off and was blown away by the 1887 date. A collector in a Facebook group said that the earliest-known Brooklyn dog license is from 1879. I've only found a few dog licenses but nothing before the 1960s.


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445718204.649315.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445718217.631575.webp
 
Upvote 44
That is a really cool find, looks like Dr Bone's (really? Bones & Dogs, now that's funny) is missing the 1887.:occasion14:
 
Bet that one was worn by a uppity class dog from the "good side" of town:laughing7:. Awesome, thanks for sharing it with us.
 
Great early dog tag, contras on the find.
 
Beautiful dog tag--very unique indeed. Congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom