What's new

✅ SOLVED 18th Century Silverplate??

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,479
Reaction score
12,344
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this silver plated box a few days ago. It has very old English-looking halmarks on it. I know silverplating was invented in 1740 in England and the crowned lions head halmark was used back then to indicate sterling silver. Could this be an early forgery of sterling silver by a silverplate manufacurer?
20180715_130017.webp
Screenshot_20180716-211136.webp
20180715_125946.webp
 
I believe the VO indicates it’s from the Victor Obler Company out of New York, in operation 1930’s-50’s.
 
Upvote 0
That is really cool
 
Upvote 0
I believe the VO indicates it’s from the Victor Obler Company out of New York, in operation 1930’s-50’s.

Thanks, that looks to be spot on!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom